Stupid computer shuts down!!!

jollybluegiant

Baseband Member
So, heres my situation, whenever my mom's computer feels like it, it just shuts down. Now I have Trend Micro virus protection, didnt find anything (no surprize), then I used all the little program for spyware and all that other crap i.e. ad-aware, spybot search & destroy, and spywareblaster. Still keeps on doing it, then i use Hijackthis, i find about 43 objects that were potential hacks/trackers. NOW IT STILL DOES IT. I have re-installed SP2 just to see if that would make a difference, it didnt.

So when the computer shuts down it does its normal reboot process, then when it comes to the login screen for XP, it sometimes shuts down there. Or right after I click the name i want to login as it will shut down. Or it will wait untill the whole desktop shows up THEN it will shut down. The funnest thing is when your doing something important like resarch on the net and it just goes on its own.

The weird thing is, is that when it does shut down and I bring it back to the desktop it says the system has recovered from a serious error. HOWEVER, the error does not show up in the logs. Is this normal for an error to do that? But when i click on the details for the error, it shows that these two files in C:Temp have something to do with it
shutting down. However, when i look for those files in the Temp folder, there is none to be found.

Any suggestions? If all else fails ill just reformat :mad: . So any help would be grand. Thanks

hmmmm

Is there any specific way I can test the power supply unit? Or would I just have to replace it? And if we start to think hardware malfunction, then any fan could be the culprit :( . So what do do now.....thanks

Yeha, I'm thinking a bad psu... or even an internal mobo issue... have you tried any other psu?

re: software

Sounds a whole heck of alot like a software problem. Did you install anything new recently? Try doing a system restore. Also, try (I know this gets old) booting into safe mode and doing a system restore in safe mode too.

-thecoolkidontheblock

no man system restores do not fix it. Im going to try to intall windows XP over the top of my previous version. Hope that will work...if it doesnt..then it clearly/probably is a hardware problem. HOWEVER, say it was a falty PSU, would the computer really say it was an error?? I would think it would just be like me pressing the restart button. I DONT KNOW!!!! please help

NO, the computer would not say it was an error for a faulty psu... you have to know that yourself...

So, software for sure? I think so, but im just starting on fixing computers, like 6 months. So im not really that great at troubleshooting things :( . So do you thing re-installing windows over the top would do it? If not, reformat?

I don't know
I think its a PSU problem but it may be caused by some problems with your software, reinstalling windows over the previous version won't exactly fix a hardware problem though ...

But if it is a software problem, can i just reinstall windows over the previous one to fix it?here are the files that the error report has logged.
NOTE: these are two different errors i think, they both popped up the last time it rebooted by itself.

C:\Temp\WER0dda.dir00\winlogon.exe.mdmp
C:\Temp\WER0dda.dir00\appcompat.txt
This was a new error that just popped up this morning.

C:\Temp\WER0c7a.dir00\Mini092005-01.dmp
C:\Temp\WER0c7a.dir00\sysdata.xml
>>>These 2 have been the files in the majority of the errors. (most likely the same error)

ill provide more info as i get it.

Back
Top Bottom