Stuck between what to buy a mac or a pc for graphic design degree

goca

Baseband Member
Hey guys im gonna be starting a Graphic Design degree in september and need some advice, ive only got enough money to buy this custom pc spec: 3.2 - 3.4 GHz Intel processor, 1- 2 Gig memory, and 160 Gig hard drive! which costs me £700

Or i have the option to buy a mac mini with a 1.4 GHz G4 procesor, 1 Gig memory and 160 Gig Hard drive! which will cost me £693

which one do you guys sugest would be best for Graphic Design, bearing in mind, i could squeze a few quid to upgrade the memory and hard drive on the pc?

For graphic design, you'll be doing mostly 2D work, so I'd say go with the Mac. Most GD work is Mac based. Now, if you'll be doing 3D modeling/rendering/animation, then get the PC.

ExGamer said:
I dont do graphic design but ... I hurd macs were goin to use intel processors

Yes, Mac is going to make the full shift sometime in 2007 I believe.

It's also depends on software as well. See if you can contact the college and see if you can tell what kind of software they're using. then search google to see if it's better on mac or pc. And if you've never used a mac..it can be a pain. lol

Yeah, one thing you'll really want to do if you get the Mac is get a 2 button mouse. I learned Photoshop on PC and then used it on Mac, and it's really nice, say, when youre airbrushing to have two colors to switch between just by right-clicking.

Im guessing your considering the Mac because of that deluded, 20 year old, out of date myth that Mac's are better at graphic design?

If I where you I'd find out what kind of software your University uses for their work. Find out if its avalable on the PC and if so buy a PC.

If its Mac only software they use your pretty much screwed into getting a Mac.

Back
Top Bottom