Stress testing PC

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
Well, one of my case fan went out just now. The blue LED lights still work, but the ball bearings that help with the fan rotation is shot. Unbelievable. I'm still waiting for the CPU to burn out, lol. But I think I may want to do it on purpose just so I can build a new PC.

I want to put my PC to some torture test (Prime95 does this by searching for super large prime numbers), but not limited to CPU. Perhaps RAM and hard drive too. Well, defrag I guess is a good test for that. But what are some other good programs out there that can really "beat the crap" out of your PC? If something should burn out, I would love it. That gives me a good excuse to start on a new one.

Well, Prime95 will stress the CPU and RAM. As for the hard drive, that will take a while to kill. My friend has a 10 year old PIII computer that the hard drive is always doing stuff and it still works. Stock drive too. Just accidentally get a magnet near it.

If you really wanna kill your CPU, pull the heatsink off while it's running, preferably under full load.

Then I will feel guilty about it if I actually break the CPU on purpose like that. At least under extreme stress test by software, it's the hardware's fault for not being able to handle the load. This desktop has had it. The Newcastle is the first core ever released for the Athlon 64 and it's the worst one to get comapred to all the Athlon 64 CPUs. It uses the most voltage and can only withstand a 400MHz OC on air before it goes nuts on you.

I'm playing Crysis and it's averaging 2 FPS!!! Not good. Then I'm playing Unreal Tournament 3 which is fine for the most part but recently, it's been fluctuating between 3-10 FPS and that really hurts the eyes and messes with your equalibirum when you're trying to move around the map. Dizzy.

I'm thinking of just selling it for $50-$100 if I get lucky......piece of crap PC.

2 FPS, I would cry.

I'm guessing by your sig that you built it, meaning you have access to voltages. Well, turn those up, and maybe it won't be able to handle that kind of load.

Edit: I would have some fun with it by pushing it to the max and see how high it would clock.

why would you break a perfectly good cpu?!?! give it to me if you want to get rid of it that much!

also if you insist on killing everything, than software wont do it, maybe you should pull the HSF off while your playing a game, see what happens. also, if you, make sure you tape it, that why the cpu doesnt go to waste ;)

If he's not gonna destroy it, he's gonna sell it. His choice either way.

what's the point in destroying it? If you want a new PC then just get as much as you can for your current one instead of just destroying it and getting nothing for it.

It's the first one. After pondering about it, I'm going to use it as my spare PC (parts--in case I have to troubleshoot something or file "server"--ie backup, etc.). So all is well and dandy. It was very frustrating yesterday night using my desktop because it wouldn't do the things I want to do. Basic computing, it's fine, but certain things I do on that PC can really drag the performance all the way down which is not good. I'm not spending any more money to upgrade it since the components are so outdated and I notice some cost more money now than if I were to buy new parts, lol. The motherboard still uses the nForce4 chipset, but thank goodness it's PCI-express supported at least!

It would make a great spare PC. I though about selling it but forgot to realize the advantage of having more than one desktop PC. My laptop is strictly for work and school and I don't want to load any games, other third party software on it. Right now, it's clean, fast, and boots very very quickly. I'm leaving my laptop at that.

It's the first one. After pondering about it, I'm going to use it as my spare PC (parts--in case I have to troubleshoot something or file "server"--ie backup, etc.). So all is well and dandy. It was very frustrating yesterday night using my desktop because it wouldn't do the things I want to do. Basic computing, it's fine, but certain things I do on that PC can really drag the performance all the way down which is not good. I'm not spending any more money to upgrade it since the components are so outdated and I notice some cost more money now than if I were to buy new parts, lol. The motherboard still uses the nForce4 chipset, but thank goodness it's PCI-express supported at least!

It would make a great spare PC. I though about selling it but forgot to realize the advantage of having more than one desktop PC. My laptop is strictly for work and school and I don't want to load any games, other third party software on it. Right now, it's clean, fast, and boots very very quickly. I'm leaving my laptop at that.

It shouldn't be that slow, i'll try running crysis on my similar desktop with a newcastle 3400+

Your processor may have an ultra high power consumption, but thats the only real problem with it.

Back
Top Bottom