Strange / undeletable folders in my portable HDD

RhysAndrews

In Runtime
Hi guys.
Recently I've had 2 folders added to my portable hard-drive. b167341204b59c05d99e, and fa263ff46b3e6b3b003c01. They haven't always been there, sorta just popped up suddenly. I can't delete them, no matter what computer I plug my hard-drive into.

In both these folders there is a subfolder called 'update'. It won't let me open these folders (access denied). They're both 0 bytes, but are just irritating sitting there.

I used Sysinternals Process Explorer to search for these folders in processes. The only processes that used my F drive (portable hdd) at all were:

svchost.exe: F:\$Extend\$ObjId
svchost.exe: F:\System Volume Information\Tracking.log

I can't find these folders in the F drive (though I take it that $Extend/$objId are variables). I don't really know what to do here, these folders look really ugly.

I'd really appreciate it if you guys could give me any pointers on what to do.
Thanks!
Rhys Andrews

those undeletable folders are normal, those are the partition information on the drive.

I don't understand though, as they only recently popped up.

Never mind, I made them hidden and set to not show hidden files and folders. I'm hapyp with that - thanks for your help!

those undeletable folders are normal, those are the partition information on the drive.

The partition infomation is housed in system volume infomation. Those ones are from windows updates. If you go to install SP3- you can see it extract it to a folder with all those numbers. Windows by default extracts it to the biggest local hdd that it can find. I bet that your external is bigger than your internal. It happens all the time 4 me.

Back
Top Bottom