Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
Baseband Member
 
garirry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 23
Default Re: Strange sound when turning off my PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
OK then, what model is it?
HP Pavilion Media Center m8425f (no parts upgraded except my graphic card but I'm running Windows 7 64-bit)
__________________

garirry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #12
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,030
Default Re: Strange sound when turning off my PC

HP Pavilion Media Center m8425f Overview & Specs - Desktops - CNET Reviews
Ok comes with an NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT. So what did you replace it with?
__________________

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #13
Baseband Member
 
garirry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 23
Default Re: Strange sound when turning off my PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
HP Pavilion Media Center m8425f Overview & Specs - Desktops - CNET Reviews
Ok comes with an NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT. So what did you replace it with?
NVIDIA GeForce 210
garirry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #14
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,030
Default Re: Strange sound when turning off my PC

Sorry to take so long. That system has some age on it and finding the service manual took A little hunting.
That comes stock with a 350 watt power supply and with all the goodies that comes on that setup, I'm leaning more now toward you're over loading the power supply.
Problem here is an aftermarket power supply may not fit your case. Do some measuring and see how much clearance you have behind the current psu and side to side.
Sounds like your baby need an electronic B12 shot.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #15
Baseband Member
 
garirry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 23
Default Re: Strange sound when turning off my PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
Sorry to take so long. That system has some age on it and finding the service manual took A little hunting.
That comes stock with a 350 watt power supply and with all the goodies that comes on that setup, I'm leaning more now toward you're over loading the power supply.
Problem here is an aftermarket power supply may not fit your case. Do some measuring and see how much clearance you have behind the current psu and side to side.
Sounds like your baby need an electronic B12 shot.
Are you telling me that I have to buy another power supply?
garirry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #16
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,030
Default Re: Strange sound when turning off my PC

A GeForce 8500 GT requires you to have a 350 Watt power supply unit with at least 22 Amps available on the 12 volts rail.
For a system using a single GeForce GTX 260 graphics card NVIDIA recommends a power supply with a +12 Volt continuous current rating of 36 Amps or greater and with at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

I'd think that you're cooking your power supply. Ask HP if the have a higher output power supply for that model.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #17
Baseband Member
 
garirry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 23
Default Re: Strange sound when turning off my PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
A GeForce 8500 GT requires you to have a 350 Watt power supply unit with at least 22 Amps available on the 12 volts rail.
For a system using a single GeForce GTX 260 graphics card NVIDIA recommends a power supply with a +12 Volt continuous current rating of 36 Amps or greater and with at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

I'd think that you're cooking your power supply. Ask HP if the have a higher output power supply for that model.
My graphic card doesn't have any plugs on it! It is better than I just buy a power supply rather than contacting HP?
garirry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:01 AM   #18
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team
 
iPwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 3,870
Default Re: Strange sound when turning off my PC

1. Try to replicate the problem.
2. Document steps/scenario producing problem.
3. Try to determine the source of the noise.
4. Take a picture of that part.
5. Post back.

__________________
Me: You'd think as the dominant species we wouldn't be so effing stupid.
J: We're just intelligent enough to be completely effing stupid.
iPwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #19
Baseband Member
 
garirry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 23
Default Re: Strange sound when turning off my PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
1. Try to replicate the problem.
What to do?
garirry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #20
xxcobraxx
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: England
Posts: 6,224
Default Re: Strange sound when turning off my PC

Seti is 100% spot on, i'm so sure now after reading what you're running.
__________________

IAntDemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0