Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-03-2007, 01:25 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to stuckinthecave Send a message via MSN to stuckinthecave
Default strange question, but I dont really understand OS's

I thought I understood how an OS worked, but apparently, I don't. I tried to do a linux/windowsxp dual boot, and thats when I learned about fixmbr. If I didn't know about the os specific boot loader, then what else don't I know. I always thought that the bios controlled the boot. Is there a website I can learn everything there is to know about an os and how it works (it doesn't have to be windows specific, but im going for my mcdst, so it would be nice). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

stuckinthecave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:30 AM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Thelis Send a message via MSN to Thelis Send a message via Yahoo to Thelis
Default Re: strange question, but I dont really understand OS's

Well, there are tons of books on each OS! There isn't anything just teaching about OSs, that would be too big of a book. Instead there are books that can teach you about one specific one, whatever you want to know about it.

So what OS are you most interested in?

Thelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:32 AM   #3
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Yeah, books or forums dedicated to a specific OS are your best bet for information.

If I may make a recommendation, the "Books for Dummies" series is very good for computers, and not very expensive either..

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:37 AM   #4
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to stuckinthecave Send a message via MSN to stuckinthecave

Well, I know about windows, but it's the core of the OS that I'm looking for. Like the kernal. I know how to use it, I just want to know exactly how it works. Does that make sense? sorry if I'm not clear.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:39 AM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Thelis Send a message via MSN to Thelis Send a message via Yahoo to Thelis

The kernel is another word for the Linux core. There is not much to learn about it..
Old 07-03-2007, 01:40 AM   #6
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Ok, yes, that makes sense. Unfortunately, I do not have an answer for you. Although, I would love to see how it works too.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:43 AM   #7
Golden Master

It is one of the things that I take for granted. I do not pretend to understand every bit in a computer, I pick and choose, and the OS was not my choice.

As for learning more about cores, what can I say.. I have not ever seen a book about it, although there are some courses that I know of.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:49 AM   #8
Baseband Member

Hehe, you guys have the same problem. Anyway I googled it and found THIS. It's a long read but I'll end up going through it tom (it's almost 2am over here). There's also a cool little program to build you own OS on the same site. I'll have to check that out too. I'm making the backups now though, just in case . Thanks for your help everyone
Old 07-03-2007, 04:13 AM   #9
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

If you're doing the MCDST then you need to know the boot sequence. Its here on the MS site. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/100323
The MCDST isn't very detailed tho, so you dont need to learn loads. I would suggest that you buy the 2 MS press books for it. The exams are 70-271 and 70-272. Also check out exam cram and sybex books aswell. If ya wanna know anything else just ask.

Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote