Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-25-2007, 02:10 AM   #1
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner
Default A strange mishap..

Ok, so I was playing halo on legendary (Fun as hell if you try to stealth on btw) and at the first bridge on assault on the control room, my PC seemingly shut off.. however, I could still hear my fans and my keyboard lights were on, but the monitor shut off (signal loss)
So i shut off my PC, turn it back on, nothing happens. So I open the case and check everything, and the first thing I notice out of place is the 20+24 pin connector (the extra 4 pin connector to be more precise) was completely unplugged.. so I plug it in, and it fires right up, no problems now..

It appeared that the horrible wiring on my part caused some tension on that connector, which it finally gave way under all that... so I finally got off my butt and rewired it.

Any of you guys ever have that? I never really thought some tension on a wire would eventually cause a problem..

MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:23 AM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino
Default Re: A strange mishap..

It's possible. Usually a small part of the plug acts as a clip, but it's not that strong...it can only hold so much tension before releasing.

alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:25 AM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner
Default Re: A strange mishap..

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvino
It's possible. Usually a small part of the plug acts as a clip, but it's not that strong...it can only hold so much tension before releasing.
Yeah, it was probably just sitting there barely making contact for a while. It clips in fairly well.
MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote