Straaange over heating after applying thermal paste

Devils6258

Baseband Member
I had my computer cleaned and new thermal paste applied by Geek squad about an hour ago and my CPU temp has doubled from 40 C to 80C. I'm very confused.

Did the heatsink have a thermal pad? in which case at wasn't cleaned off properly.

In any event the job wasn't done properly.

You're in danger of cooking your CPU.

yep, they must have screwed up. I guess you could just take it back there and tell them to fix it.
Though it does take a while for thermal paste to settle down and start working better, putting new thermal paste shouldn't cause a huge increase in temps.

yeah geek sqad arent they pc world i am sure they are

Anyway they could have put too much on , not cleaned the old thermal compund off and was it arctic silver if notmaybe try that

also what processor are you using

Double check they pluged the CPU fan header back onto the motherboard. Perhaps they completely forgot to plug in the fan. (lol, did it a few times myself).

Anyway, I'd double check with them and see what compound they've used, coz you do need some decent stuff nowadays, bog standard white silicon based TIM was good enough in the days of P1 MMX's, AMD K5's and Cyrix M2's, not for AMD FX70's Pentium 4 D's and the likes.

If you've seen my other posts on this subject just ignore them I cant see my posts and have to search for them for some reason. Thats why I posted over and over. Okay I have p4 its plugged in and the thermal paste is called dynex

eh, dynex isn't too good from what i've heard... i'd buy AC5 and bring your comptuer back to the Geeks and make them re-do it with the good stuff.

why was this guys account disabled? was it because he ade 4 posts on the some thing??

Back
Top Bottom