Storage Solution?

semtex

In Runtime
hey there,

i'm currently using a 160gb drive to store my music/video and software backups, however i have a problem - that problem being that i only have 2gb free space now, with 6gb worth of downloads on their way. The drive is used only for storage, windows is on a seperate disk. I also have a spare 40gb drive in the case currently doing nothing, so my question is this; is it possible to combine the 160 and 40gb drives to make one? (Raid?) the reason i'd like to do this is because a) i've already got 10 drives showing in my computer, i don't want anymore! b) it'd be much easier only having to add one drive to a playlist.

Thank you all.

it would seem that only the SATA controller supports RAID, the drives in question are running on ATA/133 and that controller doesn't mention RAID anywhere

Raid Controller

isnt it possible to put a pci raid controller in to get around this problem.
i think you can anyway (i maybe wrong)

MSI ATX CASE MSI kt3 ultra2 motherboard AMD 3000+ Barton core CPU 2.17 GhzTHERMALTAKE 3400 AMD FAN/(extra cool) 256 L1 CACHE 512 L2 CACHE 1 GIG DDR RAM 2700 Mhz MEMORY 2.5 clATI RADEON 7200 SE GRAPHICS (NOT THE BEST BUT NOT BAD) WIFI NETGEAR ADAPTER REALTEK NETWORK CARD REALTEK AC 97 5.1 SOUND SURROUND 6 X USB 2.0 1X FIREWIRE ON D BRACKET 1 X 7200RPM 80GB MAXTOR DIAMOND PLUS 9 HARD DRIVE1 x 40GB DIAMOND PLUS 9 7200 RPM BACKUP DRIVERUNNING 2 X XP HOME 1 X XP PRO1 X MSI CD RW/DVD ROM 1 X TDK DVDRW MULTI DRIVE 1 X FLOPPY 1 X 12 IN 1 CARD READER2MB WIRELESS BROADBAND

Yeah I'd assume it possible.

Raid is weird though in the way it works. I made a post about it a couple of weeks ago:

"Hmm I didn't know they had to be of the same type, but yes they do have to be of the same size because it sets them up in an array which must be identical with all drive in the RAID

So if you had 4 drives for example, the smallest one would be the one which would define the size of RAID storage.

So if you had 1 drive which was a 40Gig drive, and the other 3 were 100gig. You'd only end up with 160GB of RAID storage because it'd use the smaller drive as a template for the rest, instead of 400Gig if you had them all of the same size.

RAID = Redundant Arrays of Inexpensive (or Independent) Disks."

So that RAID setup wouldn't work as well as you expected it to i don't think if you could set it up...

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom