Sticking Computer

It's stuttering. I had that problem a while back with my C-Media sound card. All I did was update the drivers and it stopped.

over the past few days sticking is getting more and more frequent. that may be beacuse school term has finished and im on my pc more. however i've notice that before sticking what sounds like a hard disk or disk drive, make a boot sound (like when you first turn on ur pc your drives grumble) and then sticking happens.

Also there is a sound inside my pc which happens when the pc is sticking. It's a very quiet sound, I tried recording it to put it on here but background noise gets in the way and my phone aint sensitive enough. Every time the pc goes for one of it's 'sticky runs' the sound inside the pc accompanies it. So i set all the high powered fans to zilch and it seems to be coming from the CPU area, not the gfrx card or hard disk area (i've tried putting my finger on hard disks as sond comes out and could feel no real vibration). I though maybe its the CPU fan, but it moves to fast to tell. I tried resting my finger on the frame of it and can't feel no sudden vibrations nor when i blew compressed air on it could i hear any difference in the air stream. Hmmmmm? I will wait till it next goes sticky on me and experiment again to see if there is something i missed. Could it be the CPU? Does a CPU without a fan make a noise at all?

Also I've been checking the CPU and GPU temps when the sticking occours and they seem normal.

ALSO

done the disk defrag (what i could as i don't have < 15% free) but the sticking still happens :(

my microphone is working in back port, haven't tried it in front port. FFront port audio out isn't working it seems I put my headphones in and i just get statically noises that contribute to what the pc is doing... if i scroll in a window i get some kind of muffled high pitch static etc.

what do we think it is?

I believe it may be fixed!? I sprayed a load of compressed air of the main CPU and for a few days it didn't crash. I thought it may be luck, however i decided to inspect the thermal compound between the CPU and the heatsink. In some places it did look a bit thin in SOME places..... so i put some more on. Sprayed my whole pc with compressed air and so far no more sticking (for 4 days so far!). The thing was though, if it was overheating, it didn't show up on any heating programs. Do silicon doped components have sudden temperature spikes. Maybe it was a specific part of the process (where the thermal compound was a bit thin). Perhaps the thermistor (temperature sensor) is located in the middle of the CPU, where the thermal compound was rich in supply?

Hmmmm. or maybe it will just start sticking again

Hope i haven't jynxed it :S

The problem has not arisen since i reapplied the thermal compound, so i've come to the conclusion that it's fixed. yay!

Back
Top Bottom