Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-19-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
Fully Optimized

Default stay away from Abit boards...

or at least read up on their policies before buying (RMAs, etc.) there are rumors of their demise and people have been having a horrible time with RMAs which only strengthens the rumors imo, from what I hear, they also require a "deposit" if you RMA a mobo ($175) and they send you a refund check after they receive the board from you, but expect only $150 back from them...

this was a real eye opener for me, and pretty shocking to tell you the truth...

MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:38 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Denthúl Send a message via MSN to Denthúl Send a message via Yahoo to Denthúl
Default Re: stay away from Abit boards...

I've always kept my distance from Abit after having a succession of four motherboards which all went faulty. Sending the first one off, I thought that it was just a one-off. The second, maybe a bad batch. But when the third died, I'd had enough. The replacement died as well, though it was out of warranty by this time and only being used in a file server anyway.

I do agree that this is quite shocking but, given my experience with them, I kind of expected a few other dodgy things about them. I have also had similar experiences with ASrock.

Also, in regards to fees, Gigabyte actually charge you £10 for return delivery as well as you having to arrange your own delivery to send the motherboard back to them, which I thought was cheeky. Thankfully, I've only ever encountered one faulty Gigabyte board. But still... :/

[/ramble]

Denthúl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:42 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denthúl View Post
I've always kept my distance from Abit after having a succession of four motherboards which all went faulty. Sending the first one off, I thought that it was just a one-off. The second, maybe a bad batch. But when the third died, I'd had enough. The replacement died as well, though it was out of warranty by this time and only being used in a file server anyway.

I do agree that this is quite shocking but, given my experience with them, I kind of expected a few other dodgy things about them. I have also had similar experiences with ASrock.

Also, in regards to fees, Gigabyte actually charge you £10 for return delivery as well as you having to arrange your own delivery to send the motherboard back to them, which I thought was cheeky. Thankfully, I've only ever encountered one faulty Gigabyte board. But still... :/

[/ramble]
they've had one guy's motherboards and money for about 2 months now, and he can't get anyone to answer the phone when he calls, it just keeps ringing or is busy...
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

Old 08-19-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

ahh thanks for the warning.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Denthúl Send a message via MSN to Denthúl Send a message via Yahoo to Denthúl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wol-va-rine View Post
they've had one guy's motherboards and money for about 2 months now, and he can't get anyone to answer the phone when he calls, it just keeps ringing or is busy...
To be honest, I would rather buy a new board than put down any kind of deposit like that. Even if it was from the most reputable company ever. But that's really a shame to hear :/
Denthúl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

that sucks. Guess its better to buy a new board than to bother doing that.
But when i choose a mobo, i either go with eVGA, MSI, Asus, or Gigabyte. I dont even bother looking at others because i dont see any good long time reviews about those.
Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
Daemon Poster

i look at biostar. they are good for buget and the tforce series are great
amp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #8
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

I've used nothing but Abit and Asus boards in my builds.

The "rumors" about Abit getting out of the motherboard market have been floating around for quite some time and have been answered by Abit.

Got any links to these so called problems some are having with their RMAs or is this just second hand information?
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
I've used nothing but Abit and Asus boards in my builds.

The "rumors" about Abit getting out of the motherboard market have been floating around for quite some time and have been answered by Abit.

Got any links to these so called problems some are having with their RMAs or is this just second hand information?
I forgot about this thread until now, the links to the RMA problems would just link to other message boards, users like me and you, I'll take their word for it, just as I take everybody's word for it here when they share something...

but I do have one link...

RIP Abit