Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-22-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Static and White Noise From Headphone Jack

On my PC I have a front headphone jack that I always use for my headphones rather than the rear jack. The rear jack works fine with no problems but whenever I plug me headphones into the front jack, I hear this faint static in the headphones. It includes static, crackling, and many faint beeping sounds. The static is extremely annoying and I have no idea what is causing it. If anyone has any ideas to stop the static, please help. Thanks in advance.

zlashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
muz
Golden Master

Default Re: Static and White Noise From Headphone Jack

where the front jack is connected to the motherboard are you sure its all wired in correctly , especially the ground jack connecting the ffront jack to the mobo

Old 06-22-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Is there 2 connector blocks on the end of the audio lead that connects to the motherboard?

If there is one is usually marked AC97 and the other is marked HD Audio, I think.

Anyways you need to use the AC97 plug not the other.

If they're not marked then simply try the other plug.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to -Paul- Send a message via MSN to -Paul-

check to make sure dust or moisture isn't inside the jack... use a compressed air duster, and blow into the jack... also check to make sure the jack is connected to motherboard, and that the connection is clean.
-Paul- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:28 PM   #5
Baseband Member

I opened my PC up and checked the connection to the mobo, and it was perfectly clean. I unplugged it and plugged it pack to make sure nothing was maligned. I tried blowing into the jack with no success. And Remeniz, I only have one connector labeled HD AUDIO, I don't have an AC97 plug. Thanks to everyone who has tried to help so far, and if anyone has any more solutions or ideas don't hesitate to post. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:19 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlashed View Post
I opened my PC up and checked the connection to the mobo, and it was perfectly clean. I unplugged it and plugged it pack to make sure nothing was maligned. I tried blowing into the jack with no success. And Remeniz, I only have one connector labelled HD AUDIO, I don't have an AC97 plug. Thanks to everyone who has tried to help so far, and if anyone has any more solutions or ideas don't hesitate to post. Thanks.
Thats why your getting the static noise i'm afraid. The HD Audio plug is wired differently to the AC97 plug and are only suited to HD Audio set-up's. The audio connection on the motherboard will be for AC97 audio use.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:09 AM   #7
xxcobraxx

remeniz mine does the same thing, before i broke my audio jack on my laptop it was perfect, then i had to buy a usb audio jack thing, and when i plug my headset in it does what the topic makers sound does. Its not that his HD wire, its ground loop hum, ''Almost all AC hum (60Hz in the U.S.) is caused by groundloops. Rather than filtering, the Hum Eliminator prevents groundloops from forming in the first place. Just plug the Hum Eliminator into the signal lines between offending pieces of equipment and you're done. Quick and easy.''

copy/paste

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EBTHE2PKG
IAntDemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
Baseband Member

Remeniz, I seem to have a perplexing problem involving the HD Audio. I checked my motherboards manual and there are two places to plug the HD Audio plug (that leads from the headphone jack) on the motherboard, both right next to each other. The one I have it plugged into is labeled "FP Audio Connector" (The one that causes the static). The one next to it is labeled "Azalia HD Audio Header". I figured i should try to plug the HD Audio plug into the HD Audio header, makes sense, right? I guess not. I tried plugging the HD Audio plug from the headphone jack into the Azalia HD Audio Header on the mobo and the jack didn't function whatsoever. I couldn't hear anything through the headphones. Also, just in case you need to know, my motherboard is an EVGA nForce 780i. With this new information, if remeniz or anybody else for that matter can give me any form of advice or help, please do so. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:29 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

Ok. I've checked out the connector.

Press the Delete Key during POST checks to enter the BIOS.

Select the Integrated Peripherals Menu.

Then select the HD Audio setting to AUTO or ON.

If the setting is ok then make sure you have downloaded the Driver software for the on-board audio.

Also can you tell me if it has always been like this? Or is this a new build?
Old 06-24-2008, 01:28 PM   #10
Baseband Member

I checked the BIOS and HD Audio had already been set to AUTO. Also I have installed the Realtek drivers from my boards driver CD. I built this PC several months ago and I don't think the jack has always caused static. I think it only started to have static when It began to not work at all. I appreciate all the help you have offered so far and more suggestions are certainly welcome. Thanks.