It starts up, then turns off, then repeats!

amini9

Solid State Member
First post here because I have no idea where to go on this situation.

Specs (I'm guessing its needed. :))
*nothing is overclocked*
Intel Core2Duo E8400 3.0
APEVIA ATX-CW500WP4 500W ATX Power Supply
Intel BOXDX48BT2 LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
ASUS EN8600GTS/HTDP/256M GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
Using 2 CD\DVD Drives that I'm guessing dont need specs.
Vista Ultimate x64

Sorry for the long title names.. but i linked the newegg product with it..

Anyways,

The Problem-
I was having problems with my 8600GTS with the dumb update that I did and it was messing up anytime I tried to play counter strike.
So after looking up the error and everything, trying solution I could find, nothing worked. I thought "maybe something in the bios can fix it" and I went into the bios and looked at what was in it. I changed a couple of things from "disable" to "enable" (dont remember what) but it had nothing to do with the video card.

I save changes and wait for the computer to restart. It sometimes turns on then off then back on when i first changed settings in my bios so i thought this was normal.. until it would continuously do it. It wont get past like 1.5 REAL seconds before turning back off and retrying to turn on.

Having no idea what to do, i search online and saw that if i removed the internal battery (the circle on the mobo) and taking off the supply and "draining" the computer by pressing the power button a couple times without the power supply, then waiting a minute then putting back the small battery would reset the bios.

I don't know, but it didn't work. Still the same problem. What should i do? Help is extremely appreciated as this is basically my main computer and the alternative (mac :() doesn't perform as well as this computer.

Thanks guys. Hope to hear back.

hmmm, you'll normally have a jumper to reset the bios.

sounds like there is something wrong though.
if your machine literally starts up and begins booting for 2 seconds then restarts it sounds like an issue with the power supply, (like it's not big enough).

try unplugging all but the bare essentials, (bare essentials are),

1 RAM bank.
CPU
Graphics card, (unless you have an on board one available).
CPU fan.
Hard drive.

(you don't need more that the primary drive plugged in, and don't need any CD /DVD drives plugged in).

you should be able to turn the computer on now...

assuming that my guess is right and it is a power issue, without as many devices drawing power it should start up normally.

now shut it down and swap the other devices in and out one at a time,
(e.g. plug in CD 1, then unplug CD 1 and plug in CD2, that'll let you find out if there is a faulty device that is causing this).

Once you've done a swap test on all your devices, you'll be able to see either that one is faulty, or they are just draining too much power when they are all plugged in.

Thanks for the response. I'll try this asap.

But why would there be seomthing wrong with the power supply? Shouldnt 500W be enough? also I've had the computer for 1 year and it's never done this.

Thanks again, i'll put up the results to what you've told me to do.

Ok, i just plugged in the essentials only and it did the same exact thing.

What could the problem be?

How do i reset that bios? i have a feeling if it resets, it will solve a bad option i might have picked?

---
ok, so i moved the "configuration jumper" and it made three beeps and my dell(the computerisnt dell) monitor doesnt recognize the comptuer is on and stays in its sleep mode..

then i removed the configuration jumper totally and it made three beeps again but nothign showed up on the computer monitor. didnt even recognize it. :( so its def. the BIOS but the computer doesnt even turn the montior..how am i going to reset the bios if the monitor doesnt turn on?!

help would be GREATLY appreciated.

3 beeps is normally the keyboard....
I would suggest checking all the connections on your motherboard again, to reset the BIOS you have to remove the CMOS battery, and keep it out for 15 minutes then put it back in and try your computer.

3 beeps is normally the keyboard? what do you mean? I don't understand

I'll check all the connections again. The BIOS you remove the CMOS battery, and keep it out for 15 minutes.. while the computer is unplugged and no power going to it? then put it back in THEN plug it in or plug it in after 15 minutes then put the battery in?

put the battery first, then plug it in. OK so before BIOS starts something called POST(Power On Self Test) it checks for the essentials, and the 3 beeps are a code which normally means an error with the keyboard.

i have alogitech g15, does that mean my keyboard died?!

or does this mean that i have to find a simple usb keyboard? (the mobo doesnt have the PS/2) connection.

If altering settings in the BIOS caused your problems, reset the BIOS.

Remove the CMOS battery from your motherboard, wait 15 minutes, then put it back in and try to boot up.

did what the above poster did.

i dont think it reset it. It does the same thing and it was like.. 1 and 1/2 hrs out.. (the CMOS)

Sounds like you messed something up in the bios. You can try to get into the bios again, if you can get the computer to go that far. It also sounds like the HDD might have died or the pwr supply could be dead as well. I would try to find another power supply first and see if that fixes the problem.

Back
Top Bottom