Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-01-2004, 12:25 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Starting new Computer!

I got an old Compaq Presario 5360 from a friend a while, and i'm just now getting it to work. The hard drive that was in it was bad, and i have an old Seagate 3 gig HD in it. I got Windows 98 SE to load on the computer, and everything works, except for i keep getting messages, asking me to insert the windows 98 cdrom for a file it doest have. And when i put it in, it says it cant find the file on the cdrom, but its there in a .cab. Its like it doesnt even search for it.

And help would be great, i want to network my Dell, and this old computer to run off of my DSL.

matthiasj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 12:46 PM   #2
The Candyman

Default Re: Starting new Computer!

Well, do you know the name of the file that the comp. is is asking for? you could just copy the cab to a temp folder on the hhd. (hard drive)

then extract all the files from the cab to the same folder. then copy the file from there to the location that it needs to go.

hope that helps...

Old 11-01-2004, 01:01 PM   #3
Baseband Member

i know the files, and i know the cabs, i would like to find a way to do it automaticly, instead of all these files manually. I think there could be whole cabs that didnt get copied in the installation.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:16 PM   #4
The Candyman

Default Re: Starting new Computer!

well, you could just have the installer point right to the .cab that has the file in it on the cd, it should be able to search out that .cab automatically.

if it say's it still can't find the file, you might have to take
it right to it....win 98 SE can be anal about this, so you just might have to tell it exactly where to go.

if all else fails, i would try to install windows again, telling it to copy over the old copy, this might fix the prob. i remember that there is an option in the menu that lets you do this.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:42 PM   #5
Baseband Member

i'll have to try that, i'm getting an error message when the computer starts up that says there is a page fault in msshuri.dll, and if i push close, it pops back up, and wont let me get into the computer, i have to shut it down.