Start up menu?

GB_Wheels

Solid State Member
I have XP, and I also have an unprecedneted number of programs that launch when I log my profile. I was wondering if there is a menu that shows what launches, and if I could stop these from launching. Thanks for the help.

check in the Startup folder, see if there are any program shortcuts in there. if you do not want the program to open when you log on, delete the shortcut. you could also check the settings of the programs, somtimes the have the option to have it load on startup.;)

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

I disabled hidden objects and checked out the location, but I only found one shortcut. I know there are programs that launch due to the length of logging on and when I run Adaware it tells me that I have tons of programs, when I've only opened one. So I think that these programs are running without my consent...which drives me crazy.

Windows XP runs with about 20 programs running at one time. Now that is just Windows without launching any other programs. Now add Office and there adds another 10 programs running in the background, without you lauching one sigle program.

Add messenger avirus scanner and that is 2 more programs that are launched that you specifically launch.

So that about 30-40 programs that are running in the background without you touching your computer.

What are these programs?
Video
Mouse
Keyboard
Disk monitor
external disk monitor
memory manager
harddisk manager
monitor monitor
sound card
USB monitor
ethernet
volume control
NIC monitor
virus scanner
hardware monitor
quick launch
windows dll manager

So as you can see there are a ton of programs that run in the background that you aren't aware of.

Scan your disk often for adware, get an adware blocker. Same goes for viruses. Defrag your computer three times and turn your computer totally off before each of the defrag processes. Delete you temp files from the interent and other temp files. that will help speed up the time your computer boots.

Also if your harddisk is more then half full you start to notice a lose of performance.

------------------------------------------------------
Scan your disk often for adware, get an adware
blocker. Same goes for viruses. Defrag your computer three times and turn your computer totally off before each of the defrag processes. Delete you temp files from the interent and other temp files. that will help speed up the time your computer boots.
yes, all are good advise . one thing to remember though. when you defrag you harddrive make shure you do it in safe mode. that way it doesn't take forever cuz anti-virus won't be running.

you never want 2 defrag with anti-virus running cuz
it changes your boot files, and will screw up your
boot-up. i know this cuz i've done it, and at the end

of the defag. it asked me. boot records changed, do you want to save this? i did'nt know what to answer so i said yes.

and then my system never booted up, had to reinstall windows...

~mr mixx~ said:
Scan your disk often for adware, get an adware
blocker. Same goes for viruses. Defrag your computer three times and turn your computer totally off before each of the defrag processes. Delete you temp files from the interent and other temp files. that will help speed up the time your computer boots.
yes, all are good advise . one thing to remember though. when you defrag you harddrive make shure you do it in safe mode. that way it doesn't take forever cuz anti-virus won't be running.

you never want 2 defrag with anti-virus running cuz
it changes your boot files, and will screw up your
boot-up. i know this cuz i've done it, and at the end

of the defag. it asked me. boot records changed, do you want to save this? i did'nt know what to answer so i said yes.

and then my system never booted up, had to reinstall windows...
hey that's good advice... maybe that's why I had some problems after I defraged my comp. It renamed some system directories and moved some my files... it could have been because I had Norton running?

Back
Top Bottom