Standby bad for system?

I have an HP that is 6 years old and has been shut down practically every night of it's life and it still has all the original parts, still goin'.

You need to shut down to clear the ram in the computer.

umm standby and hibernation shouldnt be used for a desktop. u shud shut down.
standby and hibernation mess up the xp files and u mite encounter a problem wih an XP loading screen stick. u shud seriously shut down instead. it does less harm actually.

standby and hibernation mess up the xp files and u mite encounter a problem wih an XP loading screen stick. u shud seriously shut down instead. it does less harm actually.

What? Completely untrue. How come myself and so many others have been using both with no problems?

I use hibernation all the time and have no problems other than a slowdown overtime which I know will happen, which is why I restart it every now and then.

Yea mine blew up cause I used standby. :rolleyes:
What joke.........

If you use standby or hibernation each time and then reboot once a week you'll be doing yourself and your PC a favor. I can see alot of people don't understand electronics or computer hardware very much. Later........

You should actually turn off and switch off at the mains, it wont drain battery or damage your computer it will actually make it LAST LONGER, the longer its on the more ware you get, I turn mine off every night (mains as well) then switch it back on when I next need it, Ive had my computer 7-8 years now lol so I must be doing something right lol, Ive done the occasional upgrade sure, the only hammer my computer gets is the writers I'm on my third.

I shut down about every other night and standby for 2 days or so.

I've always wondered why there is no agreement on this topic, so many people are adament one way or the other. Has there been any kind of official conclusion from some computer developers or some other groups?

Well I found this
User Guide to Power Management in PCs and Monitors
4.1 Turn off computers at night and on weekends

One of the simplest and most effective ways to save energy is to turn off computers (PCs and monitors) when not needed, especially nights and on weekends. Sometimes computers are left on for legitimate reasons-for automatic backup or remote access, for example. However, many computers that could be shut off are left on by users who either mistakenly believe that shutting off their computer is harmful to the equipment or who simply forget to turn them off.

The belief that frequent shutdowns are harmful persists from the days when hard disks did not automatically park their heads when shut off; frequent on-off cycling could damage such hard disks. Conventional wisdom, however, has not kept pace with the rapid technological change in the computer industry. Modern hard disks are not significantly affected by frequent shut-downs. Shutting down computers at night and on weekends saves significant energy without affecting the performance, and may increase (rather than decrease) the operating lifetime of the equipment.

In cases where the computer is deliberately left on for network services or remote access, the monitor can be safely shut off without interfering with those activities. Since the monitor can consume two or three times as much electricity as the PC, turning off monitors is a big step in achieving significant energy savings.

Misinformation and bad energy habits are major stumbling blocks to achieving these energy savings. Computer users need to be informed about the real effects of shutting down their computers. Appendix B provides some resources for educating computer users about the benefits of shutting off their equipment at night and on weekends.

Back
Top Bottom