Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #21
In Runtime

Well thats what I thought at first.

So what does RAM use to "store" data?

Old 02-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #22
Fully Optimized

Default Re: SSD vs HDD

I think you are mixing up SRAM with DRAM. Flash is SRAM (Static Random Access Memory) but the memory in your computer is DRAM (Dynamic Random Access Memory). As celegorm pointed out, DRAM requires power to keep from losing it's contents whereas SRAM doesn't.

DRAM uses tiny capacitors to hold a charge and the charge leaks off if not constantly refreshed whereas SRAM uses latching circuitry to remember it's contents.

strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:40 AM   #23
In Runtime

Oh ok fair enough.

Mossiac
Old 02-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #24
Fully Optimized

This is an interesting site to know more about SSD.

The SSD Review The Worlds Dedicated SSD Education and Review Resource | The SSD Review
Celery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #25
In Runtime

Flash drives and SSD use EEPROM so sorry to point it out strollin but you are wrong.

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollin View Post

DRAM uses tiny capacitors to hold a charge and the charge leaks off if not constantly refreshed whereas SRAM uses latching circuitry to remember it's contents.
Also called transisters in DRAM or a flip-flop where if one transister or the other is eating a current, making ones and zeros.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:59 AM   #26
Solid State Member

I think there is not a specific answer of which one is better among them because both have its own qualities & drawbacks. like:-

In SSD data is stored in microchips whereas in HDD fetch data from Storage platter.

Data storage capacity of HDD is higher and cheaper as compared to SSD.

These are some aspect by which we can differentiate SSD & HDD. There are lots of more differences you may found on Google.
louisgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:43 AM   #27
In Runtime

I use a PC as a TV recorder and as a PC for TV I like the idea of speeding up the OS however I'm relucktant to swap my OS HDD to a SSD reason being
some of my recorded TV shows are copy -once content can only be played on the OS that made the recording there is a DRM key gets stored on the OS drive when the recording is made In order to play the recording, the DRM key must exist on the OS drive.

so if I clone or install a new copy of my OS (Win7 64) then I could possiably lose some of my recordings.

If I knew this before I started using the PC as a high definition recorder I would have started w/ the SDD.
I've sean Y-tube videos on the bootup speed of SSDs and there impresive however have'nt been around long enought to be proven.
STB

Old 02-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #28
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYSIWUG View Post
Flash drives and SSD use EEPROM so sorry to point it out strollin but you are wrong. ...
Guess you and your avatar have been smoking a little too much of whatever it is that you smoke.

Flash drives/SSD do NOT use EEPROM (Electrically Erasable Programmable READ-ONLY Memory). An EEPROM is used to store small amounts of non-volatile memory such as the firmware for a hardware device. It is way too slow (not to mention READ-ONLY) to be used for a flash drive or ssd. EEPROMs must be completely erased and rewritten in order to change their contents.
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #29
In Runtime

Well I must show this to my teacher.

He told me what I wrote above.

Thanks for correcting me strollin, it does make scene
"EEPROMs must be completely erased and rewritten in order to change their contents."
Old 02-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #30
Beta Member

The biggest factor here is money. If you are rolling in cash (which I'm sure if you were you wouldn't be on here) then get an SSD no questions asked.

Otherwise it really depends on if you need the performance or the storage space. So generally there is not one that is better all-around. Best of luck to you.
----------------------------
James

jamesbarns is offline   Reply With Quote