SSD drives

Naah, the only really interesting things in that OCZ kit are the SATA cable and maybe the adapter bracket perhaps?

But still, it's quite enough if you buy that power adapter I whas talking about and the SATA signal cable. + have some silver or duct tape at hand.

Yeah, that is exactly the same Samsung SSD that I have got. I'm very satified with it. Then you can have a normal harddrive for programs that really are'nt useful for the speed of the SSD.

Last edited:
Further thoughts on installing an SSD. Will I need to format it or does it come already done? If I try to do a clean install of my Windows 8 followed by the download to up it to 8.1, (which seems to be the best route) I might have a problem because the copy of Windows 8 that I have is I think, dependent on Windows 7 being already on the system and it won't be anymore. Also, will there be any messing about with the computer system such as telling it where it now has to boot from, I think the word I am looking for is the BIOS, which I know very little about.
Any other problems that I am likely to encounter doing this?
Many thanks again.

No need to format it. Just do a clean installation. There are a migrating progam that comes with the bundle though. But I have'nt got a clue how reliable that is?

Unplug the old harddrive before installing the OS.

You will have to set the boot order in Bios first to the DVD or CD drive.

Here are a couple of videos that explains this procedures better:

How to Install a SSD and Load Windows - YouTube

How to properly configure the SSD as boot drive and HDD as storage drive - YouTube

Also, remember to disable the defragmentation tool in Windows for the SSD.

The best way to set and forget the defragmentation is to install this:

Best Free Disk Defrag Software, your free disk defragmenter FOREVER — Smart Defrag

It will disable Windows defrag.

Just interested to know why it is necessary to uninstall the Windows Defrag tool if you are then installing an alternative.

I can understand that you think that's strange. But the program will automatically disable Windows defrag tool and set the SSD to off. But you still might want to set the other drive for defragging. Besides, it's handy to never have to think about the defragmentation as this tool will do that automatically. And you even get boot time defrag with this program.

No need to format it. Just do a clean installation. There are a migrating progam that comes with the bundle though. But I have'nt got a clue how reliable that is?

Unplug the old harddrive before installing the OS.

You will have to set the boot order in Bios first to the DVD or CD drive.

Here are a couple of videos that explains this procedures better:

How to Install a SSD and Load Windows - YouTube

How to properly configure the SSD as boot drive and HDD as storage drive - YouTube

Also, remember to disable the defragmentation tool in Windows for the SSD.

The best way to set and forget the defragmentation is to install this:

Best Free Disk Defrag Software, your free disk defragmenter FOREVER — Smart Defrag

It will disable Windows defrag.

Don't use that sneaky little SOB program. It has real time ads in the bottom right corner that connect you to an ad server. On the last window to pop up it has the last 2 items checked. Even though you uncheck them it leaves a wreck of a mess on your system.
When you try to uninstall it tries to trick you in to getting some other software installed. In the bottom right corner is the link to uninstall you want to use. Even then it leaves a link in the windows explorer and leaves a service running that you have to go find manually and remove.

That so called program is written around adware.

If you want a defrag program that is just a defrag program get Auslogic's defragger.
Disk Defrag - Best Free Defrag Software For Your Hard Drive

It does deep defrags along with optimizing. And it doesn't do sneaky things to your computer. And you don't have to disable windows built in defragger. It will ask you if you want this one to be the default program.

I'm still trying to get that POS out of the right click menu. GRRRRRRRRRR

Don't use that sneaky little SOB program. It has real time ads in the bottom right corner that connect you to an ad server. On the last window to pop up it has the last 2 items checked. Even though you uncheck them it leaves a wreck of a mess on your system.
When you try to uninstall it tries to trick you in to getting some other software installed. In the bottom right corner is the link to uninstall you want to use. Even then it leaves a link in the windows explorer and leaves a service running that you have to go find manually and remove.

That so called program is written around adware.

If you want a defrag program that is just a defrag program get Auslogic's defragger.
Disk Defrag - Best Free Defrag Software For Your Hard Drive

It does deep defrags along with optimizing. And it doesn't do sneaky things to your computer. And you don't have to disable windows built in defragger. It will ask you if you want this one to be the default program.

I'm still trying to get that POS out of the right click menu. GRRRRRRRRRR

But please! You did have the possibility to custom install that program and uncheck the adware that very often are included in free softwares.
I do hope that you arent suggesting I whas trying to have people downloading this program for the sake of the adware?

But please! You did have the possibility to custom install that program and uncheck the adware that very often are included in free softwares.
I do hope that you arent suggesting I whas trying to have people downloading this program for the sake of the adware?

I did that and no I wasn't suggesting you did anything wrong. It's a sneaky little program that makes changes to your system with out advising the end user about it. I had to resort to using Revo Uninstaller to get 99% of it out. Now I'm stuck with a right click menu item I can't find to remove. And why in the world would you put a defrag entry in a right click menu?

Well my bits have turned up this morning and I am wondering if I have bought the right item The SSD is only about 55mm long by 30mm wide and is not more than about 3mm thick. When I have looked at these on various sites they appear to be much larger and encased in some sort of case whereas mine seems to be just a raw miniature circuit board.
I have purchased a Samsung SSD 840EVO 120GB as per the link in post #10 earlier.
Can anyone put my mind at ease please?
Many thanks.

Back
Top Bottom