Ssd

dev893

In Runtime
So im thinking about putchasing a 32gb SSD just to run the OS off of. My questiin is will i notice a performance difference on SATA 2?

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Computer Forums mobile app

yes you will but 32gb is cutting it close. I recommend 40-50 minimum just to give the OS a little headroom. I have sata 2 on my mobo (its older) and I noticed a HUGE improvement when I got my ocz vertex (original) a few years back. Its a sata 2 ssd sure but a sata 3 ssd on a sata 2 port will still be very fast. I definitely recommend an ssd no matter what but again try to get a bigger size.

Im using windows 7 64bit which only requires 20gb

yeah but the OS will end up taking more space for updates, caching, and other junk. Ideally you want to leave about 10gb for provisioning purposes. SSD's run better the more free space they have.

Or should i save up buy a 256gb SATA3 so ill have room for games too and when i upgrade my motherboared there will be no need to buy another?

I would personally wait and get the OS and performance concerned programs like games on the SSD. But as dev said SSDs like to have space. The emptier the drive the better.

Mossiac

Agree with Jarmaster. 32gig is too little of a drive.
I'll rather use an SSD at the size for an old Linux laptop or as SSD caching.
Go with a bigger SSD so you can enjoy use all your favorite software and games as well as the OS in lightning fast startup time.
I have a 256GB myself. plenty for my needs.

Last edited:
Agree with Jarmaster. 32gig is too little of a drive.
I'll rather use an SSD at the size for an old Linux laptop or as SSD caching.
Go with a bigger SSD so you can enjoy use all your favorite software and games as well as the OS in lightning fast startup time.
I have a 256GB myself. plenty for my needs.

Thats what im going to do but im going to wait and get a better video card first and possibly more 8gb ram since i can get both those for around the same price as a 256gb ssd

Back
Top Bottom