Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-22-2011, 02:08 AM   #1
Solid State Member

Question Ssd

I recently wanted to add an ssd to my build, but I have minimal knowledge about ssd's.

A few questions:

Can I use an ssd and an hdd at the same time?

Can I put windows and some files on the ssd and some other files on the hdd, will I still be able to access my all files?

Do I need to run them in raid?

If I have a game on my hdd, but not on my ssd, is there a way to load the game from the ssd or do I actually have to have the file on the ssd to do so?

royboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Ssd

1) YES
2) YES
2) NO
4) maybe there will be some cases or workarounds where it will be possible. but don't bother with it.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

I'd just uninstall the game, and install it again on my SSD.

A lot has gone on in this technology though, where its actually worth trying out now. When the technology first appeared (except for the price of course) I wouldn't have tried it.
Life of the drives have increased excessively since the beginning.

Compared to hard drives, they do in fact have a specific number of times each bit of data can be wrote over.
But in the lifetime of the drive now, I don't think you'd ever encounter a problem.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
Solid State Member

Hm, Im curious about my fourth question. I'd like to have fast load times, but games take up a lot of space. I have a lot of games and an ssd can only store so much. They cost so much more per gb than hard drives do.
royboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
Golden Master

I'm afraid, even if there was a way to stream data from the hard drive to the SSD, the speeds would be exactly the same, as it'd still have to copy from the main drive.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:06 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
I'm afraid, even if there was a way to stream data from the hard drive to the SSD, the speeds would be exactly the same, as it'd still have to copy from the main drive.
What are you saying here? That's a little confusing. If you copy the data from the HDD onto the SSD, if you launch the game / program from the SSD, it will access it from the SSD, not the HDD. The access times will be exponentially faster on the SSD vs the HDD
Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:36 AM   #7
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to nbrikha Send a message via Yahoo to nbrikha

Quote:
Originally Posted by og View Post
What are you saying here? That's a little confusing. If you copy the data from the HDD onto the SSD, if you launch the game / program from the SSD, it will access it from the SSD, not the HDD. The access times will be exponentially faster on the SSD vs the HDD
Then you'd have to wait to load all the files from the HDD to the SSD. So either, you stream through the SSD from the HDD, meaning you run at the HDD speed...or you wait however long it'll take to load the game onto the SSD...which would be at the read speed of the HDD...then play the game. In any case, it seems like a lot of trouble to do to save yourself a few seconds in load times on a game.
Desktop: AMD Phenom II 840 X4 @ 3.7Ghz // Asus Sabertooth 990FX // CM HAF 932 // XFX HD 5770 // 8GB Corsair Vengeance @1600 + 8GB G.skill Sniper @ 1600mhz (C9) // Cooler Master 600W // Zalman CNPS9900 // Sidewinder x8
Laptop: Dell Vostro 3555 // AMD A6-3400 1.4Ghz x4 w/ 6520 // 500GB HDD // 4GB Ram upgrading to 8GB soon // Backlit Spillproof Keyboard
nbrikha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:13 AM   #8
Fully Optimized

i think he can gain some speed by having some of the files that is required to load the game on the ssd. the question is then how are you gonna do that.
i think it is just a waste of time wondering about it, it will be more trouble then good.

get an Z68 motherboard and set the SSD as chaching.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
Golden Master

I meant, if there was a way to run from one to the other.

Most games don't like being simply copied over. You'd have to partake in a re-installation.

Then, if you didn't want that game on that drive anymore and had a new one, uninstall and then re-install it on the hard disk.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:53 PM   #10
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrikha View Post
So either, you stream through the SSD from the HDD, meaning you run at the HDD speed...or you wait however long it'll take to load the game onto the SSD...which would be at the read speed of the HDD...then play the game. In any case, it seems like a lot of trouble to do to save yourself a few seconds in load times on a game.
You can't "stream through" anything on a HDD to SSD. You either load the game/program from the source disk, whether it's SSD or HDD, and then it runs from that source. There's no "streaming" anything.

I can see how copying the games would be a hassle, but Kage is right, you'd have to uninstall from the HDD then reinstall on the SSD to get it to that setup, but in the end, games do load faster on SSDs, it varies on game type and the kinds of accessing, but games and programs DO load faster from an SSD vs. a hard drive, hands down.

Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote