Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-29-2006, 05:59 PM   #1
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to ArrizX
Default Spyware/Walware

Okay, this is the thing..

With Spybot, I get certain random crap, right? Then I use adaware, okay, that gets more random crap that Spybot doesnt get. And those are the two leading names in the anti-spyware market. Seems legit, I suppose.

But then again, I take a deeper look. I have ZoneAlarm Pro, and that has a Spyware cleaner. That gets more stuff that the other two dont find. Then check out a pay program called Spyware Doctor. That will even find more things on your computer. Including keyloggers that Virus scanners and Spyware scanners dont find. Oooh, but lets not forget about Webroots Spy Sweeper that gets the exact same stuff as Spyware Doctor, excluding the keyloggers, while still being oblivious to the things that Spybot and Adaware miss. Finally CC or Crap Cleaner. What does this do exactly? Only what all the other programs miss no doubt.

Seriously, do these companies scam you by saying there is crap on your computer?

BTW, I do realize that with adaware it gets mostly tracking cookies that IE or malicious (sp) sites put on your computer. But it does infact find actual adware too.

Disclaimer-
I have had experience with all programs listed, excluding crap cleaner.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 06:05 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to joxley1990 Send a message via MSN to joxley1990
Default Re: Spyware/Walware

Alot of programs do just show bad entries that dont exist. I once reformatted Windows, and downloaded a program called WindowsTuner - looked really nice, and it was free.

So I did a scan, 583 bad registry entries - so I was like, damn, clean - "you must buy a licence to remove this" - So I "bought a licence - got rid of all this crap (bad reg. entries) - and it really messed up my computer - just a little lesson - stick with the ones you know.

joxley1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 06:07 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

I used to work with an enterprise anti-spyware program known as Webroot Enterprise (more commonly known as Spy Sweeper Enterprise). When I did studies for work on that program versus other programs, I found that Spy Sweeper Enterprise was one of the most effective. When I was working on one computer that also had Microsoft AntiSpyware on it, AntiSpyware was showing clean sweeps, while Spy Sweeper Enterprise was showing 50 items with 60 traces. This just shows that some programs cheat you out of good anti-spyware protection.

This software is only $25 per computer until you hit 1000, but you need a server to host the server portion of this software, as it is a server/client platform.

http://www.yourpcforums.org
Computer Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:57 PM   #4
Golden Master

So your saying that it actually works?
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 06-29-2006, 09:18 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

pretty darn well. it has worked the best out of all the anti-spyware systems that I have seen. Windows IT Pro Magazine backs me up on that when they compared Webroot and two other companies. I worked with that product back when I worked at the school district in Colorado. I noticed that there was expandibility with Webroot. You could use it with 5 workstations or 5,000 workstations. Here's a link to their website, check it out:

http://www.webroot.com/enterprise/pr...5dacb60e94f2d5

Old 06-29-2006, 09:24 PM   #6
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to Trivium Nate

Great thread I hate how one programs finds one things, Then anoter program finds another thing its so annoying because its like you dont know which programs are the best lol.
I have
Spybot and
Adware
Do you think i should give spysweeper a try?

o well i scrolled down and look what was at the bottom of the page lol
Trivium Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:35 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

You could give them a try, I think you can get a 30-day free trial. I personally haven't worked with the retail version of Spy Sweeper. I use Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy both. I would use Spy Sweeper Enterprise at home, but I don't have a free computer to host the program off of. That program doesn't work well without a server. You can get it to work standalone, but you have to do a bunch of registry tweaks and stuff of the sort. Just go with some retail public version.

Old 06-29-2006, 10:52 PM   #8
In Runtime

I just use Windows defender, no probs here. Why do you guys spend all this money on different programs to do the exact same thing?
Old 06-29-2006, 11:41 PM   #9
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jervin32189
pretty darn well. it has worked the best out of all the anti-spyware systems that I have seen. Windows IT Pro Magazine backs me up on that when they compared Webroot and two other companies. I worked with that product back when I worked at the school district in Colorado. I noticed that there was expandibility with Webroot. You could use it with 5 workstations or 5,000 workstations. Here's a link to their website, check it out:

http://www.webroot.com/enterprise/pr...5dacb60e94f2d5
But what I dont get is what it does differently.

Like, does it get what spybot does as in the adware, and what the adaware gets as in the tracking cookies. And whatever else everything gets.

In essence are you saying that this program (which I have used) basicly is all those other high-end programs combined?
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 06-29-2006, 11:53 PM   #10
Fully Optimized

i think that different programs just have differenent spyware databases so they find different things, as long as u get most of the stuff off your comp i dont think its a big deal