Splicing a 2-wire fan into 4-Pin Molex?

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Hey there, not such an important question, but I'm just pondering. I had two old Gateway machines (1998) and I threw parts together with a third computer as well, and now I have an extra whopping 70w PSU just collecting dust. I figured I'd just take the fan out of it and use it in the case, but after I did that I realized that it's a 2 pin connector (black and red wires). So I'm just wondering (since it's 12V) if I can splice it into a 4 pin molex connector (Yellow Molex (12V) with the Red on Fan, Black Molex with Black on Fan) and if that would work...I'm just curious as to how I'd get that to work..but not really a big deal!

Thanks
Zac

That Would work,As on the molex you have 2 Positive pins (One 5v+ and 12v+) and the others are ground wires.

As This Diagram shows

http://pinouts.ru/Power/BigPower_pinout.shtml

Theoritically all you would have to do is Splice the Red Wire (From the 2 pin fan) to the Yellow Wire (On the 4 pin molex),And the black wire (On the 2 pin fan) to either black wire (on the 4 pin molex).

It would indeed work, and if you wanted you could buy a female Molex connector and make a connector for it to make it more secure :)

Manufacturer code:

Female (Socket) Housing: AMP 1-480424-0
Individual Sockets (Crimp-on type): AMP 60619-1

Where you get those would depend where you live :)

Edit: Oops haha, I guess I should check before replying next time :eek:

Back
Top Bottom