SpeedStep

metin

In Runtime
I understand how speed step works, but should I keep it on if I am overclocking?
I read an article that said I shouldn't because it could cause instability.
Makes sense to me but I need a more definite answer from someone on here :)

AMD's Cool n' Quiet is the equality of Intel's SpeedStep so I could tell you that you should disable it. It's just not worth it.

If you are overclocking your not looking to save energy, are you? If you overclock you CPU to 3.8Ghz, why are you going to run it at 1Ghz when your browsing the web. There is also a time delay when the processor speeds up, but as far as I know, that only hampers the Phenom Family as it has a bugged up Cn'Q 2.0(Not Phenom II). If your CPU keeps changing from 1Ghz or so all the way to a higher speed, and in this case a very high speed, I would think it would take a longer time to speed up.

No idea if you could understand much of that because I'm mostly tired as hell right now, but if you want a vote from me, I say disable it. :p

No it made lots of sense.
If the processor is gonna take so long speed back up, whats the point.
Also running at 1Ghz kind of ruins the point of OC'ing.
Very good points.

My board automatically disables EIST when you enable the cpu ratio unlock but I still leave C1E enabled, it hasn't caused me any problems when overclocking.

The delay to speed up is unnoticable.

Running at a reduced speed/voltage when idle saves power and reduces heat, reducing heat in an overclocked system is extremely handy. Running at 3.0GHz when web surfing is fine, why would I need 4.00GHz just to load some web pages?

If you want a vote from me, I say enable it :D

Like ATF said, there's going to be no kind of delay, and it won't damage performance, so if it plays nice with your overclocking (which it sometimes doesn't as it lowers voltages etc), there's no reason not to keep it going.

Back
Top Bottom