Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-22-2005, 02:30 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to Silvance Send a message via Yahoo to Silvance
Default Speeding up DSL.

Is there anyway to speed up DSL by buying certain phone cords or anything similar? There are programs out there that supposedly speed up DSL...at a price, but I'm skeptical, so I'm looking for a technical way to do it.

Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 02:32 AM   #2
Baseband Member

Sorry, I think I should've put this in the Networking forum.

Old 07-22-2005, 02:38 AM   #3
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to BigLu
Default Re: Speeding up DSL.

get Download Accelerator, it's free, and doubled my uncle's and my friend's dsl speeds.
BigLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 02:57 AM   #4
Baseband Member

Just their downloading speed? I'd also like to increase my surfing and gaming speeds.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:15 AM   #5
BSOD

Get cable!

Well, http://www.inklineglobal.com/products/mb/ try it and don't be skeptical!
Computergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 08:37 AM   #6
Daemon Poster

Accelerating software is a scam.. it doesn't work..

You can buy differetn cables and phone cords, that would speed you up to a point.. but you wouldn't notice it..

The next big factor in DSL speed is the wiring in your home.. If you have old wiring in the walls then you need to replace it..

Next issue alot of DSL users have is the ammount of copper line you are on till you hit the fibre optic switch. If you are on a 1200 foot copper line your speed wont be that great. get the point? Either of the last two issues are not really treatable. The phone company isn't going to change this for you..
BuzzStPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:41 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

exactly Buzz! The telephone companies don't want you to know that bit of info either.

And FYI computergen, I just tried that link you left posted and then tried the internet tester...It said I was at little higher than dialup. I jst tested it on a reliable internet tester and it shows I am at 5.4mbps
So I would suspect that tester was put there to trick people into buying their product and not for actual speed.
lurkswithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:44 AM   #8
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Kuberr Send a message via MSN to Kuberr

What are your current DSL speeds? Download accelerators and changing the wiring can only increase the speed up to where your speeds are capped, say 1.5mbit/384kbit.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:57 AM   #9
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkswithin
exactly Buzz! The telephone companies don't want you to know that bit of info either.

And FYI computergen, I just tried that link you left posted and then tried the internet tester...It said I was at little higher than dialup. I jst tested it on a reliable internet tester and it shows I am at 5.4mbps
So I would suspect that tester was put there to trick people into buying their product and not for actual speed.

I know quite a bit about the phone company..
My stepfather retired from the bell company at 28 years.. Retired from being a manager/instructer/trainer
So thru the years I have learned many tricks of the trade and causes of things and how to get around them.
BuzzStPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 01:46 PM   #10
Wizard of Wires

Default hey buzz...

I retired from installing high end security and fire systems. They used voice grade lines. Any ground fault or hum on the line would give them fits. Over and over dialing or lost data packets. This is just a couple of things I did to reduce the noise on the line. First was to clean up the connection at the grounding rod. Take the connection apart and clean all metal surfaces with a medium grit sand paper. Put it back together and snug down securely the bolt on the ground clamp. Paint it with vasiline and leave it alone. Check it from time to time and reclean as needed.
Next is to check all wiring connections for corrosion. That green or black on the ends of the wire will throw the balance off on the line. It can lead to the line being unstable. This is not for rookies. You can get the poop knocked out of you if you're not real careful. If your phone block is of the new style you can unplug the house side wiring from inside the service box on the side of the house. Again clean all connections. A small metal bristle brush works great here. Use it to clean the posts where the wires connect. If there is enough slack in the wires cut off the old end and strip a short section of the insulation off. Remember where the red and green wires came off of. Modern modems and phones have to have tip and ring coming in in a certin way or they don't work.
Do the same for the jacks inside the house. Including the dsl filters.
If you have the old style phone block on the outside of your house best let Mother Bell send out one of her boys to clean up or replace that block with one of the new style. Don't go thinking you can play with a phone connection. This is serious stuff.
On hook voltage> 4 volts
Off hook voltage> 52 volts
Ringer signal> 105 volts
And yes kiddies that ringer signal will knock your twinkie in the dirt.

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote