Speed up wireless

et0609

Solid State Member
Hi

I have a wireless router capable of data transfer of 270mbps. When moving files around my network, im getting just 24-54 mbps speeds.

Is this my laptop thats slowing things down? My signal is excellent.

Is there a way of speeding up my laptop or changing its settings?

I have windows xp, dlink rangebooster router, hp nx8220 laptop.

Thanks.

it is probably advertized as megabits per second, and you are measuring megabytes (that is a 8:1 ratio there) so your speeds seem reasonable

not only that your router may be capable of 270Mbps but i bet your laptop is only 54 / 108 although probably 54,

and also depends how far away from your router you are if you sit onto of your router you'll get alot faster than being in another rooom

Since it's a laptop, it probably has a 5400 RPM hard drive, which is slower than standard desktop drives.

When you are transferring files, it may not be able to find them as fast, right?

yh if you transfer files from laptop to external hardrive you get alot faster than 54mbps, so i dont think its the hardrive

Hi

I have a wireless router capable of data transfer of 270mbps. When moving files around my network, im getting just 24-54 mbps speeds.

Is this my laptop thats slowing things down? My signal is excellent.

Is there a way of speeding up my laptop or changing its settings?

I have windows xp, dlink rangebooster router, hp nx8220 laptop.

Thanks.

270mbps is the maximum theoretical speed. You will never see more than half this speed. 54mbps speeds with 270mbps wifi is not that uncommon, if your going thru a few walls.

Back
Top Bottom