Solid State Member
hi
i have an compaq dc510sff
xp pro x86 sp3
p4 3.0 dual 2.99
2 gb ram

it it sufficent for what i do but could this be speeded up at all

thanks

Ouch. That Pentium 4 is BADDDDD. And, to make it worse, there's really no upgrading for that poor thing. I suggest dropping that old PC and buying a new one. :(

hi
i have an compaq dc510sff
xp pro x86 sp3
p4 3.0 dual 2.99
2 gb ram

it it sufficent for what i do but could this be speeded up at all

thanks

Like the guys have said in terms of upgrades you are very limited and anything available is not really going to give you the increase you want.

However there are lots of things you can do with your OS.

First of all remove any programs you don't need / use.
Boot into safe mode and run your anti virus and anti spyware / malware.
Then look at your startup items, go to start, then run, then type MSCONFIG and hit enter.
On the startup tab remove pretty much everything except for your anti virus. If you are not sure what something is then Google it.
Run a Disk Defrag.

In a more extreme measure if you are a confident "IT Expert" (sorry horrible term but I can't think of any other way to describe it) and you don't use your computer for anything with sensitive information such as passwords internet banking etc then you can consider turning off your Anti Virus / anti Spyware, a lot of these especially the live scanners can be quite intensive on your HDD, CPU and RAM.

But my number 1 tip on how to make an old system run faster would be to do a complete format of your hard drive and re-install Windows on it.
Then install just the basics you need, Office (don't go above 2003).
A basic anti virus, I tend to avoid anything that starts calling itself a "Security Center" ie McAfee or Norton these are the worst culprits when it comes to stealing system resources and Windows updates.

if it is still sufficient for what you do then no need to upgrade , If its just lagging a bit then I second what ssc has said in regards to re installing windows , getting rid of all the rubbish that has accumulated over years of use . And depending on what you are using it for adding another hard drive even externally so that you only have your os and key programs installed on one hard drive then you can store any media you have on the other .

Back
Top Bottom