speed trick with my 32g SDD cache disk

Celery

Golden Master
I was using a cache program that came with the Sandisk cache SDD that works good but every time I boot up I have to click on it to run it.

I get tired of that shit so I tried this idea I had.

SDD is faster than the spin drive and USB drives right? ok...

I partitioned my cache drive to F: (cache) and G: (Vmemory). My spin drive is C: and D: and the DVD is E:

Ok, I set up F: with ReadyBoost and G: as the pagefile disk (The C: and D: are turned off).

The results? Speedier system operations.

Attachments

• cache.jpg
    cache.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 14
Seems astute, but aren't you worried about effing up your SSD's lifespan? Also, I remember you said you peferred to have paging disabled. What changed?

It's an experiment really. The SSD is pretty old so why not try it?

It was true that I disabled paging to force the paging onto the memory sticks where it was faster. However, some programs expected paging on the HDD to be available for them to work.

If no paging present then crash.

It's been a few days already so what I found was that it didn't speed up booting much but found better performance.

It's an experiment really. The SSD is pretty old so why not try it?

It was true that I disabled paging to force the paging onto the memory sticks where it was faster. However, some programs expected paging on the HDD to be available for them to work.

If no paging present then crash.

It's been a few days already so what I found was that it didn't speed up booting much but found better performance.

Yeah it is normal for heavy apps to crash when paging is disabled, that is one of the main reasons why it was conceived in the first place.

Seems like a good idea. I may try it sometime

I am using Ubuntu now, and I set up the swap partition to be on the HDD rather than in the SSD to avoid excessive writing. I am not sure how it impacts performance to be honest, considering also that the HDD is quite old. I have never tried to put the swap on the SSD because of that reason, although if the drive is old, the "remaining life" is probably 0% already.

Do you know what happens when SSDs dies? They become ROMs only, at least what I've heard.

My computer habit is rather simple. Browse the net, read email, watch videos and talk to y'all in forums. If my cache SSD go ROM then it wouldn't matter as it's still same ol same ol.

So, from what i read from that was the Samsung was the best, but my question is, how long in say standard use, how long could the ssd last?? Are we talking year or more than say 10 years? I am wondering if a say 120gb ssd for the operating system only. from what i saw it should last infinite.The most a operating system should use is about 4 gigs top. Should that translate to a longer life than say using a 500gb ssd for everything. I know my raptors are faster than standard 7200rpm drives but i am wondering how long they last. Raptors spin at 10000rpm. I have had older 5200rpm last 6 or 7 years. I have one that ide that has 80 gb. its still working the last time i tried. It has windows xp in it. How do you know how long the ssd drive will last over the other spin-up hdds. Are they really worth the money? I know they are faster than any regular hd, but are they really worth the cost? I thought about getting one for this computer but went with the raptors. I don't regret it. they are fast hdds. I don't know how long they will last. Just need knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom