Specs of a video card

rdcmmnst

Daemon Poster
When you look at a video card specs what can you look for besides just overall memory. I'm helping out a friend..

Speeds aren't everything just like when comparing AMD to Intel processors. Find a good deal on a video card and find benchmarks on it. That's how I based my research...

As for memory, that also has very little to do with performace. For the most part, cards have WAY more ram than they actually need... Especially cheaper ones.

Um...no...not with video cards. I mean, they would most certainlly have something but that isn't something that is normally compared and all.

Usually in video cards, the higher the number, the better the card, for instance 5700, 6600.

The next bit your looking for is the Direct X version it allows. Of course, all new cards support Direct X 9. Nvidia supporting Direct-X9c, the newest form of it.

Finally, there is Vanilla cards (the standard, for instance 6600), then sometimes depending on make, PRO models, then GT in some, and finally Ultra being the best, so this is always worth while checking out.

I for one don't look too much at memory speeds either, more towards pipe lines as well, but this is just a proof of point, the higher the number, the more pipes it probably has, and also the GT, Ultra thing too

The pipes is what powers the rendering of games by the way, adn the more pipes, the more complex things the card can do in a pass (for example, texture, bitmap, etc)

I hope this helps :)

you guys forgot vertex shaders. memory is important but considering all cards these days have 128-256 it doesnt make too much of a diff. 64 is not enuf tho. speed matters very much too. also the mfr process matters because a better core means more performance less heat.

Back
Top Bottom