Specifications Definitions

wbt50

Solid State Member
I will be building my first gaming PC soon and I just have some questions etc.

FPS - I know it's Frames per second, but whats considered a good FPS rate and how do I know the FPS of a Game on my PC ?

Clock/Over Clock etc - I have no idea what they mean.

Proccesors/ CPU - I don't know much about quad core and the god CPU avalible.

FPS - Frame(s) per second. Good framerate on most games is around 60 FPS, although some games like TF2 can go into the hundreds and two hundreds of FPS on modern hardware.

Clock Speed - the number of cycles a component can perform per second, usually measured in Gigahertz. 'Hertz' means cycles per second, gigaherz is 10 to the power of 9 (10^9) Hertz.

Overclock - running a component (usually a chip or group of chips) at a clock speed higher than it was designed to run. E.g. making a 2.00GHz processor run at 3.00Ghz.

Processor - The most powerful chip on the motherboard, a central hub for all processes on the machine. The instructions that feed into the chip are called 'registers', and these registers are written in binary. The clock speed is determined by how many bits (or cycles) the chip can handle per second.

CPU - Central Processing Unit, is the full 'proper' title for your processor. They mean the same thing.

It's probably also worth mentioning that in regards to overclocking, the speed increase doesn't entirely come for free - a) some CPUs are locked by the manufacturer, making it rather difficult to overclock them at best and b) if you really push them, especially on the voltage side you could screw it up permanently. Read some guides / ask questions before you manically try ramping up the voltage / frequency as high as the BIOS allows!

FPS - Frame(s) per second. Good framerate on most games is around 60 FPS, although some games like TF2 can go into the hundreds and two hundreds of FPS on modern hardware.

Might be worth mentioning that the human eye can only see 60FPS. Going above is really useless.

Back
Top Bottom