Specific questions on htpc build

woody84

Baseband Member
i know there are other threads but I really have most of this down just a couple questions before I decide to go with this.

1) Is there a card out that will allow me to run blu-ray quality video AND audio through a HDMI cable? Just like things neater so I want one cable from the pc to my receiver. I want it to be 1080p and the audio to be "dolby true hd"

2) How does a tv tuner work for a htpc? is this the part I need to get a "tivo" setup? if anybody has done this before how easy is it to set up? will I be able to just click on a tv show and set it to record every time that program is on any channel?

3) I see that most TV tunners have hookups for coaxal cables. If so, I imagine they have QAM tuning right? I don't want to set this up and then loose HD picture because my pc can decode it.

4) I have a copy of XP laying around from an old computer, do you think this would be ok? Iv'e come to love how easy networking is with 7 and visa.

if anybody can help with any of these questions I really appreciate it.
thanks in advance

From the top:

1) There are some graphics cards out there that will run video and audio through the HDMI port, but it pays to check as a lot will just run video. HDMI can easily output 1080p so you won't have a problem with quality in that respect.

2) Any supported TV tuner will do, though you'll need 2 if you want to watch and record TV at the same time (in certain situations with clever software these days you can actually get away with one if the channels are on the same mux, but keeping things simple...) You'll also need some front end software that does all the recording business (this is the "tivo" like part). Obviously there's window's own media centre, showshifter is another alternative. Just make sure whatever card you're using is compatible with the software you choose.

3) You'll need to look for a tuner that supports receiving in HD - though bear in mind that if standard def is what's being transmitted, standard def is all you're going to get!

4) XP will be fine if paired with the right software. Of course, you could always go down the linux route - check out mythbuntu if you want to. It's a distribution based on Ubuntu that makes setting MythTV up (which is the software you'll use if you're running linux) an absolute doddle.

Back
Top Bottom