Speaker / Headphone HUM

AnthonyMcEwen

Baseband Member
Just wondering if there is anything that can be done about it, but I doubt it.

I have just been tidying up my desk so have neatend it all up and everything, I decided while I was there to switch from the rear audio port to the front, so I can unplug my audio equipment easily as I often am unpluging them anyways...

However I have noticed when on high volume and no media or sound is playing,
a distinct and load hum like elecrtical interference.

(Never noticeable on normal volume levels, and of course its not an issue when media is playing as this drowns it out)

Now this was never heared from the rear audio port, only from the audio port at the front of the case.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of it?

I dont mind if not, just so long as it is not an indication of something worse or so long as its not going to damage my PC / Headphones / Speackers.

I can put up with it, but I will move cables to the back of the case if is going to cuase any problems.

*I also use a audio cable spliter so I can use both headphones and speackers at the same time but it has no effect on the issue weather I use it or not, just though id mention it.

If you need to know any more information please just ask.

Try lowering the volume slider for the mic and/or audio-in in the volume mixer.

Ok went to do this and there is no option for it under the mixer menu, I dont have a mike pluged in if it makes a difference.

I can only here the hum if i turn the sound up delibratly, at these volumes music would be to load to listen to anyway.

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

I am on windows 8.1 with all the latest updates installed I think.

Hmm.

If Win8.x is similar to Win7 in the volume mixer, try maxing out the speakers and muting all sound in the mixer. Will you still get the humming sound? If it is gone, start maxing out the different volume sliders in the mixer one by one until you find the culprit, and also in the sound card's third party mixer if it is available. If it is still there with the speakers on maximum and the mixer mute, then I'm afraid I don't have any more ideas.

Good luck.

Hmm.

If Win8.x is similar to Win7 in the volume mixer, try maxing out the speakers and muting all sound in the mixer. Will you still get the humming sound? If it is gone, start maxing out the different volume sliders in the mixer one by one until you find the culprit, and also in the sound card's third party mixer if it is available. If it is still there with the speakers on maximum and the mixer mute, then I'm afraid I don't have any more ideas.

Good luck.

Thanks for all your help, I only have two sliders in the full mixxer, system sound / speacker sound, I can adjust systerm on its own, but speacker sound will adjust systerm also.

I did mute both of them then turn up the speackers on max and it still dose it, so must be something to do with the hardware not settings in wich case I can not fix it.

Oh well Im not to fusased as I dont here it unless i turn the speackers up anyways, so long as its not cuaseing any damage I dont care really, However thanks very much for all the help!

I notice there is a slight hiss on the back port but only just audible, cant even hear it really and this is to be expected and normal as far as I am aware and is just a "noise"

the front is a very loud hum, its not a whine but is a fairly high pitches hum, so have moved them to the back port and am just going to get an extention lead to plug into the splitter so I dont have to keep reaching beind the computer.

It sounds to me that you are experiencing dirty noise. One thing i can suggest that might help you out is plugging your PC into a power strip and plugging your monitor into the outlet not using the power strip. This may reduce the static noise that you are experiencing.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Dumb I know but what is a power stip??

I dont have much in the way of outlet real esstate....

I have two outlets, PC/Mointer is on a surgeprotected master three way plug with switches.

TV tuner / speackers / lamp / Powerline adapter is on a large surgeproteced master extension lead, I wont have room to run anything straight from a wall socket and dont like to anyways due to lack of sure protection, well things like tablets / PCs / TVs anyways cheaper stuff is fine and dose not bother me.

I'm sorry for the mis-interpretation. Reading your post it would appear you already have a surge protector with switches. That is what i was referring to. Well it seems you already got that covered, so i'm not sure what else you could do to quiet that hum, sorry i couldn't help you further.

Back
Top Bottom