Is a Spark in the PSU Normal? (Blown PSU)

b182tm

In Runtime
Hey guys,
I just got my new computer, I put everything together, went to turn it on, and SPARK. I heard a loud spark in the PSU, and I smelled burnt electricity. So I'm assuming my PSU is blown. My question is, why? I made sure everything was connected properly (You should prob. be warned this is my first build) Also, is there any way anything else was damaged? I pressed the power switch in the back, heard the spark, and turned it off IMMEDIATELY. I went back 5 min. later, and absolutely nothing happened when I tried to turn it on. No lights, fans, nothing. What could I have done wrong? BTW, i have this PSU http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=874745&CatId=0
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks a lot,
Derek

I pressed the power switch in the back

Normally, the switch in the back is to change from 220v to 115v, and if you put 220v on a setting of 115v, it could fry some components.

Sounds like the power supply is fried and it might have fried the motherboard as well.. you could try checking with the company but if it was your mistake, they likely won't cover it.

r53s said:
Normally, the switch in the back is to change from 220v to 115v, and if you put 220v on a setting of 115v, it could fry some components.
I beleive he was talking the actual power switch, not the voltage...

Ya spark=BAD!,lol. the company might reumberse you. Sometimes when the PSU goes it doesn't take anything but usally it takes the MOBO.

Um...

Could have been a bad solder joint on the psu board. Happens. Get an rma number and ship it back.

remove your PSU and open it up. (Should only be 4 screws) Please unplug 1st.

Now look inside the PSU and see if there is a fuse on the board. You may be able to just replace that.

Erm... the only way really to avoid it is to get a good make of PSU and hope for the best! :) Some might have protections for instance to short it out before it did anything to protect components if it surged for instance.
Though getting a surge protector on a multiplug socket might do the same thing.

I hope it hasn't took the motherboard with it though :( Though it depends how it blew. if it just did and didn't send a surge, you'd probably be alright.

I hope this helps :)

shut the hell p kage!!!!!!!!! omg !!!!!!!!!!! this guy is retarted. It doesn't even help people.... get a life buddy.

Back
Top Bottom