Space on Harddrive problem

truehaven

Beta member
So my computer is trying to tell me that i have only 54.8gbs left on my computer out of 137 but i know that that cant be right!

the only big things i have on my computer is about 52.3gigs of videos, music and a few other things

i add up the total for everthing else ( mainly the Windows file and Program files) which all add up to a grand total of 67.38gigs! so why is my computer saying that ive used 82.6gigs??????

one other thing, then i right click C:USERS and see how many gigs it is, its says that its 59gb but when i go into the folder and check the size of everything in it, it only adds up to 52.3, so why is ther a 6.7 gb gap?!?!?!?!?

this is really bothering me can someone please help me out, thank you

The OS reads bytes/megabytes/etc in base 1024, while we use base 1000. So the OS Gigabyte takes up more bytes then our Gigabyte. So that's where you get the difference with your calculation.

if you want to free up space just uninstall programs you dont use vidoes you dont watch etc....

ah... well *yells off into the distant horizon* THANKS NEODUDE!!

does Recovery (D:) take up space from from my HD? because i added up everything on my computer, even calculated what it would really be since O/S does that, and it came to be that i should have about 60 gigs left on my computer, but my computer says 50gigs

You shouldn't worry about this. The calculation changes because of what neodude's post explains, and you simply can't "find" the lost space because it isn't lost.

You're fine. :)

Back
Top Bottom