Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-10-2005, 12:59 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Question Soundcard advice needed

Hi guys,

I currently have a built-in sound chip - this is the integrated SoundMAX Digital Audio chip (version 5.10). I play games & films on my PC but I have no need for any serious music editing/creation but mainly use it for playing mp3's & games, and the occasional movie.

I'm thinking of purchasing a Creative SoundBlaster Audigy card (the original one, not the latest one's). While not the most upto date, I have no need to spend lots of cash on a soundcard - the added firewire port is also a consideration that I will probably find very useful too.

Is the Audigy card much better than my current SoundMAX Integrated Audio? I only ask as my current audio solution is absolutely fine but I was looking for a firewire card & the Audigy Card sounds like a good investment.

Thanks in advance

HP Compaq Evo D510 (SFF) P4 2.4Ghz, 1GB DDR-Ram, 8x DVD-RW, 160GB, Intel 82845G AGP Chipset, Win XP SP2 Running Kaspersky AV5 & Sygate Personal Firewall 5.5 connected via NetGear DG834GT Wireless Router. http://tinyurl.com/2e46v http://tinyurl.com/4tehv
playaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 01:08 PM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: Soundcard advice needed

I think you should stick with what you have. You won't notice a serious diffference if you don't want to spend the money. Your built in sound is 5.1 channel right? You could get better speakers to go with it. A plain Audigy card will sound the same with minimal difference compared to stock 5.1 digital built in sound.

I have the Audigy gamer card and it totally rocks but I spent over $100 for it.

Old 04-10-2005, 01:11 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino

I have the Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit card, and it set me back about $30 Very nice card, although old, it performs pretty well.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 01:14 PM   #4
Baseband Member

I suppose your right... I don't really need a new soundcard - I was really needing a new firewire card and I seen the Audigy cards (2nd hand) going cheap for about 10 (approx $18).

Thanks for the advice again
HP Compaq Evo D510 (SFF) P4 2.4Ghz, 1GB DDR-Ram, 8x DVD-RW, 160GB, Intel 82845G AGP Chipset, Win XP SP2 Running Kaspersky AV5 & Sygate Personal Firewall 5.5 connected via NetGear DG834GT Wireless Router. http://tinyurl.com/2e46v http://tinyurl.com/4tehv
playaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 01:16 PM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino

Well I wouldn't trust 2nd hand or Refurbished hardware, because it could be faulty or something. I always buy my hardware brand new.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 01:54 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

A company called M-audio has a sound card line called revolution. I have the 7.1 model in my secondary PC, and it sounds "almost" as good as my ZS 2 platinum pro in my HTPC, and it completly blows away my ZS gamer edition. the M-audio revolution 7.1 that I have came retail for about 93 bucks off newegg, but the company offers the 5.1 model too which i think is like 75. but they really do sound awesome. they are a tad pricey, but it's well worth it.

ACES WILD is offline   Reply With Quote