Sound fail - only when playing games.

smileii

Baseband Member
As the heading says i get sound fail while in a game and have to windows key and mute and unmute my main sound in order to get it working again for 60+seconds, this happened to my pc along time ago but I have not been on my pc much so it didn't bother me, since its the summer now I'm spending more time on my pc and would like to know is there a way to fix this before I buy a new sound car or if needed a new pc.

So like I said above, my sound is perfect on my pc untill i open a game e.g Call of Duty 2 or World of Warcraft then it sounds fuzzy and fails, I have tried finding driver updates but have faild (via google), i found one site that matched the sound device I have but it would not allow me to download the driver updates, If anyone knows where to find updates for the following please reply.

Sound Info -

Device
Name : Vinyl AC'97 Audio (WAVE)
Device ID : PCI\VEN_1106DEV_3059SUBSYS_A0041458REV_5
Type : WDM

Driver
Name : vinyl97.sys
Version : 6.14.0001.4180 (English)
Date : 09/10/2006
WHQL Logo'd : yes
Provider : VIA Tech'

DirectX Features

Hardware sound acceleration level : basic acceleration

-----

I shall remain looking for drivers to see if it can fix my problem, another thing i would like to ask is there a way to reset all sound settings to default to see if it might help? Last thing i noted is my pc is veru dusty, i doubt this being the problem but could it be?

If there is any more info you require post and ask, thanks.

Graham.

Well, you could reinstall the driver. That's probably one of the first things I would do. Then if that doesn't work, I would probably try to get a driver update. If that doesn't work either, I'd probably get a whole new sound card. As far as there being a problem with your computer, I'm not sure. I don't think any other parts could affect it unless it's an onboard sound card.

I'm know little about stuff when it comes to parts and inside a pc but I'm sure its a built in sound card as the only card connected to my motherboard is a graphics card, so if its a built in card could dirty/dust be an issue? the inside my pc is very very dusty.

I'm not sure, but it wouldn't hurt to clean it off! Get a compressed air can, take your computer outside or something, wherever you don't want dust, and start spraying!

try downloading these and tell me if it works, even if you have to replace your old version of downloads do so, this could help

try this and tell me if this works

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/directxdownload.html

then install that and try this:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_lite_codec_pack.htm

I know their codecs but still try and finally do this:

http://www.ccleaner.com/download/downloading

once their all install run ccleaner and click Analize, let it run, now click run cleaner and delete them files, then click registry and scan for issues, and then fix all selected issues

now restart and tell me if the sound is done.

if it aint then sorry bud cant help anymore.

download direct x 9

DirectX Features

Hardware sound acceleration level : basic acceleration
Try This:

1.Go to start menu,go to run and type "DXDIAG" and press enter,a box may popup,if so,press no.

2.At the top there will be tabs,click on the 'sound' tab

3.In the middle of the sound page,there will be a slider under direct X features.

4.Slide this slider all the way to the end so basic accelaration,will become Full Acceleration than click exit.

This might help you with your sound issue,if not,Follow steps 1 to 3,and then click on the 'test direct sound' button and the post the results.

P.s If all fails,Download and run this: (latest Drivers)

For Windows XP:HERE
For Vista:HERE

Sorry Antdemo but where do I extract directx when downloaded? EDIT- installed

and

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...codec_pack.htm

basic, standard or full? i've downloaded basic but have yet to install it.

UPDATE:

Antdemo done what you asked but, instead of it fixing the sound I am now left with no sound in any game at all :S, i could be in a game with windows media player playing music, i could hear the music but the game is in mute both CoD2 and WoW. Any idea why :S?

UPDATE:

In DXDIAG it says ''No sound card was found. If one is expected, you should install a sound driver provided by the hardware manufacturer.'' this is new.

Neodude112320 now done what you asked ontop of what Antdemo asked and its went from having no sound in games fullstop to no sound on my pc either, any help :( ??

After that my pc sound is now working but once again my game sound is, if you have nothing more for me i try i was wondering would a system restore bring back the way it was? muting and unmuting to get sound is better then no sound at all.

Did you do?

"This might help you with your sound issue,if not,Follow steps 1 to 3,and then click on the 'test direct sound' button and the post the results."

if so,What were the results? As antdemo said i think i might be DirectX Mucking up on you.

Back
Top Bottom