Sound Emulation

Farsox

Beta member
Hello everyone... this is my first post in these forums, and I hope that someone here has a solution for this problem:

There are many cases that I have run into in which I install an older game onto my computer, and realize that it has one of the dreaded sound card setups in the installation (the list that only lets you pick from a few sound cards). I have a Soublaster Live! value card in my computer, and someone told me that it could do SoundBlaster Pro emulation. That has not worked out for me so far.

I gotta say, I love my old games, but they just aren't very fun without the sound. So here's my question: does anyone know of any type of software out there that can emulate an original SB16 or a similar old card, that would be compatible with the SB Live!?

I can't answer that but, I just wanted 2 welcome you here at CF.Welcome aboard Farsox, and i hope you like our little community.

Tell yer friends about us...

I dont think that what your thinking is possible... the sound that is orriginally in the game cant get much better with emulators in any case... Im not sure what your trying to ask but correct me if Im wrong

I wasn't talking about improving the sound quality of the games. The problem is that the games do not recognize the sound card model, and will not play any sound at all. So the question was whether or not there is any software that might work in conjuction with a newer sound card to imitate the presence of an older card (say a SoundBlaster 16 or Soundblaster Pro).

Could you not just select something lik auto and have it run that way? Or could you just select a sound card from the list and see if it runs? OR will that not work.

I'm pretty sure that I have tried every sound card on the list. Unfortunately, all of the games I have been installing do not have an auto-detect option, either.

I have found that by searching around the net, it is possible to find player-made patches for these old games, though, and many of them take care of this sound problem. This would be great if these patches weren't so hard to find... not to mention the fact that it only fixes the problem for the particular game that it is made for. I don't mind doing a little searching for each game that I want to play, but it would still be nice to find something that is a little more universal.

I guess the ultimate solution for this situation is to simply build a lower-end system with a good old fashioned sound card. If I only had the resources.

Back
Top Bottom