Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Default sound dies

Hi everyone I hope someone can be of help to me here! I am am running a Dell 720XPS with windows 7, 8gb ram, q6600 CPU, and nvidia 8800 gtx gpu, if the computer is left idle the sound works fine for 20 Min's or so then starts to break up and eventually goes altogether it is definitely not speaker related as the monitor is also a TV and I have changed to TV when it has happened and the speakers work fine, I hope I have put this in the right place as I pretty sure it is hardware related I do not believe I have a sound card but do not know for sure but I did a belarc analysis and it did not show a sound card so I am assuming I have not got one any suggestions gratefully received as it is a real pain when watching anything on the computer that needs sound many thanks Chris

chrisf-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
Solid State Member

Default Re: sound dies

Have you tried updating your sound driver? Click start, right click computer, click manage, click drivers, click sound, double click audio device, a window will pop up them click driver, click update driver and see if this helps. If not you can try to uninstall them re-install driver.

hvacdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:24 PM   #3
Baseband Member

Thank you for being a great help Chris
chrisf-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:26 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf-1 View Post
Hi everyone I hope someone can be of help to me here! I am am running a Dell 720XPS with windows 7, 8gb ram, q6600 CPU, and nvidia 8800 gtx gpu, if the computer is left idle the sound works fine for 20 Min's or so then starts to break up and eventually goes altogether it is definitely not speaker related as the monitor is also a TV and I have changed to TV when it has happened and the speakers work fine, I hope I have put this in the right place as I pretty sure it is hardware related I do not believe I have a sound card but do not know for sure but I did a belarc analysis and it did not show a sound card so I am assuming I have not got one any suggestions gratefully received as it is a real pain when watching anything on the computer that needs sound many thanks Chris
you will have some sort of sound device, weather it be on-board or an internal add-on.
the fact that an analysis does not show one says that it may be malfunctioning.
you could first try to uninstall the drivers for the sound device and then install them again.
if you have an internal removable card, you can pull it out and try any on-board sound device you may have.
or if you don't have an on-board sound device, just re-seat the internal sound card.
lastly, for about $30, Creative has a 7.1 sound card.

these are the things I would try if I was having this problem.

Phillip
detox is offline   Reply With Quote