Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-10-2007, 08:01 AM   #21
In Runtime

Default Re: Sound Card: Are they Useless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyler105 View Post
If you can find the Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic, that would be a good card for you.
Can't Find XtremeMusic but there are the OEM and Retail copies of XtremeAudio. Donno if thats what you meant or if it is a diff card.

[Case = Corsair 400R][CPU = Core i5 3.4Ghz to 4.6Ghz /w Noctua NH-U12P SE2 CPU Cooler][Mobo = Asus P8Z77-V LK][RAM = 16GB DDR3 Patriot Viper 3 1600Mhz RAM][Video Card = PNY GTX 670][SSD = 240GB Force GT][Samsung S27B350 27inch monitor][Running Windows 7 64Bit]
OTSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:43 AM   #22
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSS View Post
So which is a good sound card. Anyone got an answer to my question from end of page 1?
Depends on what you want to use the soundcard for.

Personally, for me any X-FI would be utter crap. X-FI are creative's consumer end card, they have a series higher than X-FI called EMU which are their professional level cards.

Also with cheap speakers / headphones, a great soundcard isn't necessary for decent sound quality.

DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:58 AM   #23
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

I think getting a sound card is worth getting.

I've had 3 cards in my time. One was an old AWE64 card that was actually pretty good, then a Sound Blaster Live, and now an X-Fi Xtreme Music.

I have to say, even though its good, I want to get into more music production now, and the card I have doesn't even offer a MIDI input, yet, my older Creative Sound Blaster Live card did.
It also doesn't offer Optical Out. Something I really want now with these new speakers.

So I may sell this card, and get a more production based one.

Or is it possible to have 2 in one system? Or a card with just MIDI in's and Optical Outs that link to the sound card? Doubt it, but worth a try
Old 12-10-2007, 12:00 PM   #24
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
I think getting a sound card is worth getting.

I've had 3 cards in my time. One was an old AWE64 card that was actually pretty good, then a Sound Blaster Live, and now an X-Fi Xtreme Music.

I have to say, even though its good, I want to get into more music production now, and the card I have doesn't even offer a MIDI input, yet, my older Creative Sound Blaster Live card did.
It also doesn't offer Optical Out. Something I really want now with these new speakers.

So I may sell this card, and get a more production based one.

Or is it possible to have 2 in one system? Or a card with just MIDI in's and Optical Outs that link to the sound card? Doubt it, but worth a try
Yeah it's quite possible to have multiple sound cards in the same computer, used to do it. It may confuse consumer programs and windows, but all the professional programs support multiple cards.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:04 PM   #25
Golden Master

Or just sell this one and get a more productive one.
I'm not really fussed about game audio effects, as long as it supports 5.1.

MIDI input, and Optical out needed.

Any ideas?
Old 12-10-2007, 12:08 PM   #26
Golden Master

Quote:
Or just sell this one and get a more productive one.
I'm not really fussed about game audio effects, as long as it supports 5.1.

MIDI input, and Optical out needed.

Any ideas?
Why are you worried about 5.1? Professional cards support surround sound very differently than consumer cards, yes you can do it but it may not work with games.

And what card you want also depends on how much money you have. And the digital output, optical SPDIF or coax SPDIF?

Ive owned many soundcards in the past

AWE64
Early TurtleBeach card
Sound Blaster Live 5.1
M-Audio Audiophile 2496
Creative EMU1212M
Old 12-10-2007, 12:23 PM   #27
Wizard of Wires

C-Media has a 5.1 with a sp/dif and optical header. I have one in my P4 and it rocks the house. Check Aopen products. AW850D deluxe.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:24 PM   #28
Golden Master

I'm worried about 5.1, because I'd still want to play games, etc, though maybe I could keep the card in for that, and my Logitech's can handle 5.1 so don't need a decoder.

Optical out definietly

MIDI in?

I don't want to be spending loads, so under 100 if possible?

One with the lowest latency possible, for plugging in keyboards and the like would also be good.

But yeah, sorry for almost hi-jacking, but its still a good answer for a sound card you may want. They do make a tonne of difference compared to onboard to a sound purist.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:46 PM   #29
Golden Master

Quote:
I'm worried about 5.1, because I'd still want to play games, etc, though maybe I could keep the card in for that, and my Logitech's can handle 5.1 so don't need a decoder.

Optical out definietly

MIDI in?

I don't want to be spending loads, so under 100 if possible?

One with the lowest latency possible, for plugging in keyboards and the like would also be good.

But yeah, sorry for almost hi-jacking, but its still a good answer for a sound card you may want. They do make a tonne of difference compared to onboard to a sound purist.
If your running Vista, switching between two sound cards is a snap.