Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-10-2007, 08:01 AM   #21
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 408
Default Re: Sound Card: Are they Useless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyler105 View Post
If you can find the Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic, that would be a good card for you.
Can't Find XtremeMusic but there are the OEM and Retail copies of XtremeAudio. Donno if thats what you meant or if it is a diff card.
__________________

__________________
[Case = Corsair 400R][CPU = Core i5 3.4Ghz to 4.6Ghz /w Noctua NH-U12P SE2 CPU Cooler][Mobo = Asus P8Z77-V LK][RAM = 16GB DDR3 Patriot Viper 3 1600Mhz RAM][Video Card = PNY GTX 670][SSD = 240GB Force GT][Samsung S27B350 27inch monitor][Running Windows 7 64Bit]
OTSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:43 AM   #22
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: Sound Card: Are they Useless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSS View Post
So which is a good sound card. Anyone got an answer to my question from end of page 1?
Depends on what you want to use the soundcard for.

Personally, for me any X-FI would be utter crap. X-FI are creative's consumer end card, they have a series higher than X-FI called EMU which are their professional level cards.

Also with cheap speakers / headphones, a great soundcard isn't necessary for decent sound quality.
__________________

DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:58 AM   #23
Golden Master
 
Kage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 13,873
Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: Sound Card: Are they Useless?

I think getting a sound card is worth getting.

I've had 3 cards in my time. One was an old AWE64 card that was actually pretty good, then a Sound Blaster Live, and now an X-Fi Xtreme Music.

I have to say, even though its good, I want to get into more music production now, and the card I have doesn't even offer a MIDI input, yet, my older Creative Sound Blaster Live card did.
It also doesn't offer Optical Out. Something I really want now with these new speakers.

So I may sell this card, and get a more production based one.

Or is it possible to have 2 in one system? Or a card with just MIDI in's and Optical Outs that link to the sound card? Doubt it, but worth a try
__________________
Abit IP35 Pro / Q6600 G0 / Zalman 9700 / 8800GTS 640mb / 4x 2GB Corsair XMS / X-FI Xtreme M / 1x 1TB / Antec 900 / Logitech Z-5500 / Samsung 20inch
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:00 PM   #24
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: Sound Card: Are they Useless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
I think getting a sound card is worth getting.

I've had 3 cards in my time. One was an old AWE64 card that was actually pretty good, then a Sound Blaster Live, and now an X-Fi Xtreme Music.

I have to say, even though its good, I want to get into more music production now, and the card I have doesn't even offer a MIDI input, yet, my older Creative Sound Blaster Live card did.
It also doesn't offer Optical Out. Something I really want now with these new speakers.

So I may sell this card, and get a more production based one.

Or is it possible to have 2 in one system? Or a card with just MIDI in's and Optical Outs that link to the sound card? Doubt it, but worth a try
Yeah it's quite possible to have multiple sound cards in the same computer, used to do it. It may confuse consumer programs and windows, but all the professional programs support multiple cards.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:04 PM   #25
Golden Master
 
Kage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 13,873
Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: Sound Card: Are they Useless?

Or just sell this one and get a more productive one.
I'm not really fussed about game audio effects, as long as it supports 5.1.

MIDI input, and Optical out needed.

Any ideas?
__________________
Abit IP35 Pro / Q6600 G0 / Zalman 9700 / 8800GTS 640mb / 4x 2GB Corsair XMS / X-FI Xtreme M / 1x 1TB / Antec 900 / Logitech Z-5500 / Samsung 20inch
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:08 PM   #26
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: Sound Card: Are they Useless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
Or just sell this one and get a more productive one.
I'm not really fussed about game audio effects, as long as it supports 5.1.

MIDI input, and Optical out needed.

Any ideas?
Why are you worried about 5.1? Professional cards support surround sound very differently than consumer cards, yes you can do it but it may not work with games.

And what card you want also depends on how much money you have. And the digital output, optical SPDIF or coax SPDIF?

Ive owned many soundcards in the past

AWE64
Early TurtleBeach card
Sound Blaster Live 5.1
M-Audio Audiophile 2496
Creative EMU1212M
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:23 PM   #27
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,030
Default Re: Sound Card: Are they Useless?

C-Media has a 5.1 with a sp/dif and optical header. I have one in my P4 and it rocks the house. Check Aopen products. AW850D deluxe.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:24 PM   #28
Golden Master
 
Kage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 13,873
Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: Sound Card: Are they Useless?

I'm worried about 5.1, because I'd still want to play games, etc, though maybe I could keep the card in for that, and my Logitech's can handle 5.1 so don't need a decoder.

Optical out definietly

MIDI in?

I don't want to be spending loads, so under 100 if possible?

One with the lowest latency possible, for plugging in keyboards and the like would also be good.

But yeah, sorry for almost hi-jacking, but its still a good answer for a sound card you may want. They do make a tonne of difference compared to onboard to a sound purist.
__________________
Abit IP35 Pro / Q6600 G0 / Zalman 9700 / 8800GTS 640mb / 4x 2GB Corsair XMS / X-FI Xtreme M / 1x 1TB / Antec 900 / Logitech Z-5500 / Samsung 20inch
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:46 PM   #29
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: Sound Card: Are they Useless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
I'm worried about 5.1, because I'd still want to play games, etc, though maybe I could keep the card in for that, and my Logitech's can handle 5.1 so don't need a decoder.

Optical out definietly

MIDI in?

I don't want to be spending loads, so under 100 if possible?

One with the lowest latency possible, for plugging in keyboards and the like would also be good.

But yeah, sorry for almost hi-jacking, but its still a good answer for a sound card you may want. They do make a tonne of difference compared to onboard to a sound purist.
If your running Vista, switching between two sound cards is a snap.
__________________

DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0