Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-22-2005, 09:28 AM   #1
Solid State Member
Default Sound Card help

My Sound card doesn't seem to be working right. It plays sounds for about 5 mins but then goes off. the song it plays goes all distort while it plays it. it doesn't play it out of the speakers or the headphone jack. this has happened for 3 weeks now and it is very annoying. Plz help simon

wakeford90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:46 AM   #2
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Sound Card help

First go into my computer>control panel>system>go to the hardware tab>click device manager>go to where your sound card is. does it have any marks beside it. if it doesn't click on it>go to drive tab>and click on update driver. does it find a new driver?

If none of that works:
Have you added any extra hardware to your computer lately. if so, how much watts is your power unit (PSU), and how much extra stuff do you have in your computer?

CPU-Intel Pentium 4 630 3.0Ghz / 2MB Cache ~~OS Windows XP SP2
MOBO-Gigabyte 8I915P Duo Pro Intel Socket 775 (PCI-E)~~HDD-Western Digital 160GB(SATA)
PSU-Aspire 500W ATX~~RAM-1GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (512x2 Dual Channel)
GPU-MSI GeForce 6600 GT(PCI Express)~~Monitor Viewsonic VA902B 19" 8ms~~ ATI TV Wonder Pro (TV Tuner)
~~Still to come~~: eVGA e-GeForce 7800 GT
Dishdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 11:59 AM   #3
Golden Master
Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: Sound Card help

"it doesn't play it out of the speakers or the headphone jack"

Wheres does it play from then if not from here? Or do you mean when it cuts out, hehe

Very weird though that its started 3 weeks ago and worked perfectly before. I would think drivers are the cause, and so what is your sound card? We might be able to lead you to some new drivers to try

If this doesn't work, there is always System Restore which might be able to go back 3 weeks to get it working again, though this would only revert back the settings of the driver probably which a new driver would probably fix.

After getting the new driver, you would then uninstall the drivers from the Device Manager within System in the Control Panel, and then restart the computer. The computer would then find that a soundcard is there but hasn't been installed yet, and would ask you to find a sound card driver which you could then specify to be the one you downloaded (after unzipping the file into a folder).
Though Windows might even find one automatically for the card

I hope this helps
Abit IP35 Pro / Q6600 G0 / Zalman 9700 / 8800GTS 640mb / 4x 2GB Corsair XMS / X-FI Xtreme M / 1x 1TB / Antec 900 / Logitech Z-5500 / Samsung 20inch
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote