Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-09-2006, 01:02 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to BobbyDRZA
Default Sound Card Choice

what sound card should I get between these two? The Audigy 2 ZS or X-Fi Music Xtreme? I want to replace my Audigy LS because it does not function right with some games such as Half-life 2 or Halo and may cause games such as these to crash. Pretty much games that have outside environments with reverb and enviromental effects. I'm thinking about just going with the Audigy 2 ZS because I have been hearing alot of problems with the X-Fi cards have electro wave interference and several other issues. Please give me suggestions on what I should purchase.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

BobbyDRZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 01:36 AM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: Sound Card Choice

I am also curious to this question. How do the cards rate from first to last: X-fi, Audigy 4, Audigy 2?

(I dont mean to Hijack this thread, just trying to get more responses)

kocheez75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 01:58 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to The Amish Kid

I have a x-fi and I think its awesome. I havent had any problems with it. Also because its a newer card it is able to use higher sound qualities on newer games.
AMD Opteron 165 CCBWE 0551@ 2.25ghz(250 x 9) 1.45v cooled w/ Thermaltake Big Typhoon | DFI LP Ultra D | eVGA 7800GT@ 465/1110 | Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic | 2GB G. Skill DDR 500 @ 250mhz 3-4-4-8 | 80 GB SATA + 40GB SATA + 200GB IDE| 480w Thermaltake Silent purepower | Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case (Black) | Windows XP Pro |
The Amish Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:51 PM   #4
In Runtime

bump
kocheez75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 05:11 PM   #5
Golden Master

I don't know where you got that info on sound cards getting electormagentic interference. Sounds too far fetched. Electromagnetic interference usually don't occur on sound cards, but from the speakers. Powerful 5.1 PC speakers like the Logitech Z-5500's can emit a high concentration of electromagnetic waves we can't see. That is why there are warnings that come with it to set it at least 2-3 feel away from all electronic device. Sound card like the X-Fi will not produce enough power to even come close to electronic disturbance as speakers do.

With that in mind, get the X-Fi chipset. They are currently the best and the newest. Audigy 2 ZS are good too, but it's an older chipset.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:29 PM   #6
Baseband Member

I have an X-Fi and I think its great. Buy the X-Fi!

AMD X2 4800+ 939 Toledo @ 2.64GHz | Asus A8n32-SLI Deluxe | 2GB (512 x 4) Corsair XMS Pro C2 DDR-400 @ 220MHz | 250GB WD Caviar SE16 SATA II | BFG 8800GTX OC | Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum | Turbo-Cool 510 SLI | Sony DVD-RW Dual-Layer | Thermaltake Armor Case | Windows XP Pro SP2
X-treme 3D is offline   Reply With Quote