Soon to be college student, looking for help!

Now that is a nice Computer, if it wasn't AMD :D Bit over a Student's budget though, should probably make a new thread and tell us about it there! Wouldn't mind knowing what it is like.

thanks for the help guys.

The Acer computer looks liek it's very badass, fast as hell, 3.2!? Woow lol. But it also weighs in at 10 lbs and I think thats just too heavy for me. No i'm not a girly man, but I want a light computer.

I think the Toshiba fits me well, but it says it comes with XP Home, and I think at orientation they told us that XP Pro is preferred, is there any way to switch this? Does this cost alot?

You'd probably have to contact the store and ask about their software bundles. Hope the Toshiba goes well for you! :D

Will probably cost at max from upgrade from XP Home approximatly 50-=100 dollars

oh cool, that's not too bad then.

So what are some good points about the Toshiba i'm looking into and some not so good pts, some things that a avg person like myself wouldn't notice lol.

I think the speed is a plus right? 1.86 seems solid. 100 gb hard drive seems solid, 512 MB memory seems good. But then what about all the other stuff?

Like I said, I don't really plan on playing games, I just assume i'll play once in awhile since it is college.

You need to look at battery life. Toshiba notebooks are pretty harsh there. I've seen some models that will last an hour on battery. Some may have higher life like 2-3 hours, but watch for those. I agree that Toshiba makes pretty affordable performance laptops, but a drain on battery.

I would recommend getting the Centrino Penium M instead of the Turion 64. Pentium M uses less watts to power their prower their CPUs compared to Turion CPU, has better raw power than Turion, and just darn faster. I've seen benchmarks that show Pentium M system have boot times 30 seconds faster than the Turion 64. Same model laptops with different CPUs to test this (CompUSA printed me out the specs and review sheet. Don't know how to make this available to you, but you have to take my work for it). So make sure you get a Centrino Mobile processor. They do good for now.

Turion 64 may change with Windows Vista or Windows XP x64 or better yet, Linux. Fast. On battery life, Pentium M just OWNS.

That Sony laptop is petty good. 3.5 hours average on battery life. I've seen that displayed before and it is so sweet. I wanted that one but cost too much for me. Get it.

Who uses a Laptop too far from an Outlet anyway?

I'd say go with a mainstream Desktop-type Pentium. You'll get the same speed for less money, and can spend out then on a lighter model if that's what you're after.

Back
Top Bottom