Somethings clearly wrong! Help appreciated

Drewrare

Solid State Member
Hey

Basically I have been having problems with my pc for a few months now. It was turning itself off a lot if I tried to do anything taxing (sometimes as little as having media player open would turn it off) and was generally running much much slower than before. I had previously been able to play games such as oblivion etc but was struggling to play dawn of war. I installed some software for temperature checking etc and noticed the processor was extremely hot and must of been over hot for some time eventually i got round to buying a new one same spec.

Whilst this has speeded up my pc a bit (the temp is also much lower now and the pc isn't turning itself off) its still much slower than before and games are impossible to play at any acceptable rate with some of them just locking up. The task bar at the bottom of windows also locks up on occasion for a few seconds so I cannot open or close any windows which. It just seems that a lot of the time the pc is one step behind the click of my mouse.

Below are my specs the graphics card (and i can ramp the graphics right up so I don't think this is the problem) is pretty new as is the PSU and obviously the processor is new. Any help or advice with what you think could be wrong would be greatly appreciated.

OS
Xp service pack 2
Pentium 4 HT 3.0ghz (not over clocked)
Geforce FX6800 AGP (not over clocked)
600 watt PSU
2 x 512MB SDRAM pc3200
asus p4p800-vm motherboard

(think thats all correct)

Bare in mind too that all these components were installed together when I was happily running about with my sword in oblivion killing numerous beasties, so it all worked at some point.

I'd suspect a heat issue if it's just shutting off. What's the shutdown temp say in BIOS. Maybe raise it if it's to low of a threshold.

Yeah it hasnt been shutting down since I installed the new proccessor its just the speed of everything and inability to do things that were easy before thats the problem.

Might be RAM as well. RAM that goes bad can cause all kinds of problems, and it seems that once you run memory intensive programs that your PC shuts down. I would try to run some memory diagnostics and try to pin point if it's the RAM or not. If it is, then trouble shoot to find out which stick, or both. To do that just put one stick in, turn PC on, run the diagnostic tests, if you turn up OK, try the other stick and go from there.

I could not for the life of me get the program to work. I dont even have a floppy drive so ill just have to try taking one stick of RAM out at a time see if anything improves.

Back
Top Bottom