Something is Killing My RAM?

DelTASteveB

Baseband Member
Alright,
My system is beyond capable of playing BF2. It is a Sony Motherboard (not sure what model), 1 GB of RAM, ATI X700 Pro Graphics Card, P4 3.0 gHz Processor. For some reason, when I play BF2, I will have nice and low ping (like 29-30), but for no apparent reason my Framerate will drop like crazy. I think it might be a RAM issue. When I open up my Windows Task Manager, there are a CRAPLOAD of things running, but I do not know what they are, nor how to find out what they are. Any suggestions?

Thanks A Bunch,
DelTASteveB

http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP Services.htm
that is a link to the mirror site of Black Vipers windows configuration. You can turn off a lot of those services to make your computer faster. sounds like your computer is sufficient enough to run games so I don't know, you should try that first and see what happens.

make sure u have the most up to date version. One of the previous versions had a mem leak. If u dont know what that is it just means that the program doesnt free up mem it doesnt need once its used so it eventualy looses ram.

That would be part of the problem. I am still using the first version. Alright, I have to reformat (stupid virus) then I will try these suggestions.

Do you have protection programs running all the time? If so, you shouldn't really get viruses :p

Anyway, that memory leak definietly seems right as that 1gb of RAM, though a lot would be used rather quickly...and well...if its not freed....yeah :p

If you have protection programs running all the time you will ahev to expect somw drain on your gaming. If you ask me, you should remove them, and use your computer as a computer rather than a Castle :p But some people don't like doing that!

I know that I don't. My Internet is on all the time, and unless I want to unplug when I'm not using it, I don't like to turn any of those programs off. e.g Firewall/Antivirus. I don't mind turning off Spybot though (doubt this uses up too much memory anyway) because it doesn't run in the background.

Anti Virus's kill my FPS in games got form 150-200 on css and then drop to 50-60 sometimes. I would turn them off while your playing your games (thats what i do) :D

Yeah, I guess its okay if your not actually downloading anything. As long as your firewalls on, it should stop any viruses/trogans, etc from getting in anyway for the Antivirus to deal with.

Just make sure you run a virus scan once every week or so just to be sure.

What would you reccomend as a firewall?

I know this may be "thread jacking", but it is a thread I started lol.
I used to have Notron Anti Virus, but it ate up so much memory, and had way too many things get by it.

Back
Top Bottom