Is something horrible......

bluenose1940

In Runtime
Is something horrible imminent?

Over the last couple of days when clicking the mouse to wake up the computer, I can hear what seems to be the hard drive whirring into life, it gives off about three successive Brr Brr, Brr Brr, Brr Brr, sounds which I have never heard before.

I am concerned that the drive may be about to cause problems. it's not that old and it is an SSD drive.

Apologies for the Brr brr's but its the only way I could think to describe it.

Any thoughts anyone?

Many thanks.

I don't think it would be the SSD drive as that is a solid state device with no moving parts. If you have other drives connected that aren't SSDs then they could be running up and making that noise. I have heard noisy drives where the motor bearings have been on their way out making a noise although I wouldn't describe that as brrr brrr to be honest.

I don't think it would be the SSD drive as that is a solid state device with no moving parts. If you have other drives connected that aren't SSDs then they could be running up and making that noise. I have heard noisy drives where the motor bearings have been on their way out making a noise although I wouldn't describe that as brrr brrr to be honest.

Thanks for that pete.i, there is a Seagate drive within the pc too, I'd forgotten that. As you say, it's probably that one causing the noise.

You should probably back up anything you don't want to lose on that drive... I have heard that noise before, a week or so later, it wouldn't spin up. No huge loss for me, as it was just a scratch/torrent drive.

Could also be a fan bearing going bad, but usually those noises are more constant.

Let's see... try to rule out/sort out stuff first. Disconnect the first suspect, the HDD (since it's clear it is not the SSD) and try. If the sound is still there, it is not HDD but something else. I remember one video card I had turned the fans to max momentarily at start up then it goes down again. Maybe, just maybe, something similar is there in your case.

That brr brr sound is the drive heads seeking. It may or may not be bad news.

Back
Top Bottom