Some Problems...

Hehe it just hit me...one of the specs that I left out was my power supply...my 450W power supply. Now I never thought of this before, but could this be the source causing all the problems? Seems logical to me, everything work fine out of games, but once im in (and actually really using my GPU) I see the problems.

Do you guys concur?

Thanks

That could be it you know...

The x1900 card is very powerful, and I wouldn't use anything less than 500watts while running it.

Also, is it running off its own 12v rail? Not connected to other devices?

I have a feeling you might of hit the nail right on the head with this one.

To be on the safe side, i'd consider getting a 550-600watt power supply. Because the rule of thumb is, you can never have too much power (the computer will output what its using and no more), but if you dont have enough...

Yea erm 450 Watts PSUs lose its kick after a few years. Before I upgrade my GPU and stuff I prob going go with a 550-600. Again just because you got 600 WATT PSU don't mean your PC uses that much.

i agree it is most likely the psu, as for the cpu and graphics card not being able to support the game, helllll no. My comp in my sig runs F.E.A.R. almost maxed out at smooth frame rates, and your comp destroys mine.

There is no need to ever go above 500 watts. Your computer simply does not use that much. 600-watt computers are the one's that have like quad-SLI and 4 10,000RPM hard drives. Yeah, those need the watts. Your computer doesn't.

could it be a bottleneck problem with ur ram?

what type of ram and how many dimms (and if its dual-channel) are u using?

I still suspect its the PSU.

Even if he does get a 600watt, the system won't use that much power, but its great to know anyway that it won't be exceeding its limit, and so will run cooler/quieter, etc as a result.

Plus, when he does update his system, he doesn't have to change the PSU to accomodate.

Bad news...bought a 600watt PSU (yes i know i dont need that much but who knows what the future will bring) and it is still doing it. This is very, very strange, I have never ecnountered anything like this before. My 3DMark05 score was about average for systems like mine (around 8400) and I have all the latest drivers. Normally I would just say "bad video card" or "bad processor" but then how come my 3DMark05 scores were good?!

Ahhh, so frustrating (especially considering the money I have dropped into this thing). You guys have been great helping out though.

Got any more suggestions?

Thanks

Here is a picture of my CPU usage while Battlefield 2 is running (not that im not actually online or in a game, just at the startup screen).

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2127334/1

Sorry for using cardomain, but was already registered and it was easy, lol.

Please help, im so disapointed and simply can not think of any other reasons why it is doing this...=(

Seems fine when im out of game and then as soon as I open BF2, F.E.A.R etc. BOOM. Starts freezing for 4 second intervals, then goes normal for about 10, then freezes again. F.E.A.R its actually not as bad, but whenever something "loads" or I turn into a new room it freezes for a second...no idea whats wrong. If the video card is defective then why did my 3DMark05 score turn out okay? Same with the processor....why!?

Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom