Some help with a poorly treated pc...

inbrino

Baseband Member
Ok, I thought that it would be a good idea to try and fix our oldish pc a few months back. So, I took it apart and left it in the corner of my room. Stupid I know. It already had thick layers of dust covering the memory, motherboard etc, and now it has even more. I have fumbled about with it every now and then quite carelessly. Again, I was stupid, but its old so I didnt care too much.

Anyway, how much care should I take to cleaning the memory and motherboard etc?
Does it matter if I get a small, fine unused paint brush and brush the dust away?

Also, I have taken the heatsink away from the processor. There is a hard residue left on the core, from the special thermo cream or whatever it is I suppose. Can I just apply more cream? Or do I need to try and get rid of the residue?

Please help! Any suggestions!!!
Thank you very much!

ps Im not usually this careless. Its just an old pc which has been haunting me for weeks and I have little patience for it!lol

Paint brush will be fine, just watch for static. Preferably don't brush the dust off just loosen it then blow clean with compressed air.

You will need to reapply the thermal compound most definately, the best to use is Arctic Silver 5 though most 99% silver themal compounds work just as well. To remove the old stuff get some isopropyl alcohol and use q-tips (cotton buds) to dampen then remove the old compound. This can take a while if it is set rock hard.

Everyone can get access to compressed air.

the paintbrush can be used if it is not nylon or the fluffy ones.

inbrino said:
Thank you very much!!!
My pleasure, just a point, when removing the old thermal compound don't be in too much of a hurry, it will be like rock, you'll need to dampen the q-tip then apply it to the compound to dampen it, then gently rub with the q-tip to remove, change q-tips regularly. Try not to use excessive amounts of isopropyl or force during this phase. Also be careful not to damage any pins (if the cpu is out of the socket) or the m/board (if the cpu is still socketed) If you are working on the cpu out of the socket it is my recommendation to put an anti static bag on a piece of foam as a work surface, same for the m/board though the anti static bag will need to be the correct size to accomodate the larger item.
lhuser said:
the paintbrush can be used if it is not nylon or the fluffy ones.
This is a good point and the reason for my reference to static, ensure you have a natural bristle brush (e.g. pigs bristle) I find small artists paint brushes best for this application, 100% pure bristle, they may cost a little extra but well worth it imo

Back
Top Bottom