Some Confusion

Iontheable

In Runtime
So I'm still in consideration of my i7 build. But I'm having troubles deciding and while I've talked to some people in private, I decided to bring the issue public.

With intel wiping out the initial i7's prior to the i7 975, with their production of the 6 core i5(?) with everything going into rotation at the moment, is it better just to wait?

I read rumoristic reports all day about future product releases but I can't come to decide where I'm going to get the most bang for my buck and still have some better last-ability.

I will do some gaming, may throw on the occasional mmo and I like it to look pretty, this box is mainly for graphic design though, so a lot of rendering eventually.

I'm pretty well set on all my components I just can't decide for the life of me where my money would be best spent and in what way.

Thanks for the insight :)

I think the I5 is a different proc than the hexa they will be releasing. I believe the I5 is supposed to be the more mainstream directed version of the I7 - Not so much for gamers, but for media PC's. The hex's are looking to run on the same socket as the I7's with a firmware/bios update. I wouldn't wait it out because they will be expensive when released. Best just to buy an I7 now and hold it until the Hex's get cheap.

I think the I5 is a different proc than the hexa they will be releasing. I believe the I5 is supposed to be the more mainstream directed version of the I7 - Not so much for gamers, but for media PC's. The hex's are looking to run on the same socket as the I7's with a firmware/bios update. I wouldn't wait it out because they will be expensive when released. Best just to buy an I7 now and hold it until the Hex's get cheap.

That's what I was thinking at first, I just hate buying something and then something 3 times better coming out shortly after, but I guess such is the world of computing.

My only other issue now is my gpu set up. I think I'll just grab a cheap 260 216 core for now? I don't know..so many choices!

The GTX 260 Core 216 by Evga is about the best deal to grab these days. It's not too expensive like all the 275/280/285's are and it puts out similar numbers in terms of FPS. You could even grab a GTS 250 and be pretty pleased. You'd be quite surprised how powerful they are.

I don't see a real problem going with a current i7 setup as the LGA 1336 socket is going to be around for a while with the upcoming processor release.

The GTX 260/216 is a very nice choice. When overclocked, they run faster than a GTX 275 and on par with the GTX 280. Newegg has a nice deal on an overclocked MSI GTX 260.

Ya I was looking at that exact 260 actually.

I'm just really cautious with i7 as its still incredibly expensive, at almost $300 for the their cheapest CPU..that's just nutty! Heh

I'm in love with all the new evga x58 boards, they look so pretty!!

I don't know if I've posted them yet, and I'll take suggestions of course, but heres my line-up so far..thinking about installing my first water cooler as well, some budget friendly ones are being released this year.

mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188049

cpu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202

ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227365

So there are my essentials, I'll most likely throw a OC'd 260 in there and then upgrade to their new GPUs mid-late next year.

I'm going to throw a single TB for now and pick up a 10k RPM backup for games and program launching.

I'd stay away from VelociRaptor's. I hear they are quite problematic. I'd just do some SeaGate Barracudas in RAID 0. (preferably the 7200.12 series as the 7200.11 is known for its firmware issues. And apparently the 7200.12 1Tb is a little shaky, too. Try the 750Gb 7200.12 with a 32Mb cache buffer.)

So I'm still in consideration of my i7 build. But I'm having troubles deciding and while I've talked to some people in private, I decided to bring the issue public.

With intel wiping out the initial i7's prior to the i7 975, with their production of the 6 core i5(?) with everything going into rotation at the moment, is it better just to wait?

I read rumoristic reports all day about future product releases but I can't come to decide where I'm going to get the most bang for my buck and still have some better last-ability.

I will do some gaming, may throw on the occasional mmo and I like it to look pretty, this box is mainly for graphic design though, so a lot of rendering eventually.

I'm pretty well set on all my components I just can't decide for the life of me where my money would be best spent and in what way.

Thanks for the insight :)

I know it's just business, but I hate how companies always slowly release their product. They want us to always buy new things and trash the old even though the old isn't always obsolete. I wouldn't be surprise if intel already developed the I5 when they released the P4. They just want to slowly release their product line so that you buy all of them before getting to the I5. They might even have the I92 already. :p

If you got the dough just buy it. Once u buy, a new and better processor will come out and you'll probably be in the same situation again.

Nice selection of parts Iontheable.

They do offer a combo with the Core i7 and EVGA board that will save you $22: Intel Core i7 920 - EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR

Oo nice, $22? Hell, anything helps at this point right? Hehe

I'm going to try to hold out as long as I can, maybe I can get lucky with a couple price breaks on my i7 components by the time I decide to build.

I'm going to pick up two 24' asus monitors (2ms!!) its going to look so sick painting on my wacom intuos 4 LARGE! muahaha on those monitors its going to be c-c-clean

Make all the neighbors jealous of that glowing oven in my office haha

**edit**

This is pretty much just shinfo for ya'll, but newegg approved me for about $6000 usd, so I'm going to build this system in a couple weeks I think, once I get my new place settled in.

WORD!!

I'd stay away from VelociRaptor's. I hear they are quite problematic. I'd just do some SeaGate Barracudas in RAID 0. (preferably the 7200.12 series as the 7200.11 is known for its firmware issues. And apparently the 7200.12 1Tb is a little shaky, too. Try the 750Gb 7200.12 with a 32Mb cache buffer.)

And thanks for the insight as far as my HD's go Grant!

Big help there, I'll look into the 750 ;)

Back
Top Bottom