Solid state drives

David Lindon

Golden Master
I'm thinking about getting one for my OS and some programs and then keeping my old legacy hard drive for regular storage. Has anyone tried one?

i have an SSD for my home PC, I use the SSD for the OS and then a sata drive for storage. It made my PC go so much faster.

If you get a SSD drive make sure you look at the read + write speeds as some drives have very poor speeds while some have very high speeds

I have a 128 Gb Plextor SSD drive and it is fast. Look at the specs before you get a SSD. There is a big difference between them, as far as read and wright speeds.

The bang for the buck ratio is still out of balance. Think of one of these drives as a turbo thumb drive. Like the thumb drive the SSD has a limited amount of read/write functions before it gives up the ghost. Whereas platter type drives have been known to work flawlessly for decades.
Think hard before you plop down your money. This technology is still learning how to walk.

I've got two myself. A Corsair F60 and a OCZ Vertex 2. Both run great, and are very speedy. I was impressed at the performance gain one gets from these SSD's. It may not add FPS to a game, but it sure makes your computer responsive, and boot times are so quick.

I think I might plan on buying on down the road. How much space would I need to get to install windows 7 ultimate on it?

I think I might plan on buying on down the road. How much space would I need to get to install windows 7 ultimate on it?

Well to just a bare installation with-out any other applications, around 20GB would be fine. But for the sake of leaving space for the odd app here and there, I would recommend getting nothing less then a 50GB, and pair that up with the tradition mechanical drive for more space. You can install larger programs, such as games to the separate hard-drive to save resources on your SSD.

I was just wondering how would a SSD work with another SATA HDD. I plan on getting a 64GB Kingston SSD for my OS and maybe some games and another 500GB Seagate HDD for data. If I were to drag a file onto the desktop from an external source, where would that file appear on? Would I have to configure some settings so the 500GB data drive is the "primary" drive?

In the scenario you described with a 64G SSD boot drive and another 500G HDD for data, if you dragged a file onto the desktop, it would be saved on the SSD because that's where the OS and desktop are. Putting files on your desktop is not the best idea anyway so it would be better to create a folder like "My Data" or whatever you wanted to call it on the 500G HDD. It would probably appear with the drive letter D: or E: depending on what other drives you have in your system. If you are using Win 7, you could set things up so that the contents of the "My Data" folder on the 500G HDD would appear under the "Documents" Library in Windows Explorer or "Computer".

Back
Top Bottom