Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #21
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Solid State Drive PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry120 View Post
I want my 20 year old mini to go at roughly the same speed as a Veyron and I've got £50 to spend, any suggestions?

What you're asking is completely impractical on many levels, to get similar speed to the setup in the video you'll need to spend similar money and live with similar impracticalities that aren't covered there (like the horrendous reliability.) The only way that will change is when SSDs become cheaper and faster, in which case you can spend a bit less to get a similar result.

End of.

What you fail to realize, Berry, is that my friend is ready to spend hundreds of dollars on purchasing the drives I referred to. The 32GB drives are affordable for him, and if he wants to Raid a few of them together, who's to tell him to stop? He wants that sort of performance and he is willing to pay for it.

I'm simply here for more information regarding the issue, and plenty of other forumers have helped out. No need to end anything here.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:58 PM   #22
In Runtime

you've got your info.

your friend thinks he can pick up some cheapa$$ 32 gig drives RAID them and be FAST? did you read any of the links i sent you?

go buy your $100 32GB drives and let us know how it turns out, cause we've all told you what to do... you just don't want to listen.

user12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:17 AM   #23
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by user12 View Post
you've got your info.
Where do I state that I don't have it..?

Quote:
your friend thinks he can pick up some cheapa$$ 32 gig drives RAID them and be FAST? did you read any of the links i sent you?
The one link you sent? Yes, I did.

Quote:
go buy your $100 32GB drives and let us know how it turns out, cause we've all told you what to do... you just don't want to listen.
Are you trying to sound silly? Because it is working.

*I* will not be buying anything. This info is all being relayed to my friend. He will make the decision and do whatever he decides, whether it be 25 SSDs or 1 SSD, that is up to him. I've taken a few people's advice seriously and constructively in the thread, and this is all that I needed. If you have anything more to offer that can add to the information, please do.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 09-23-2009, 01:23 AM   #24
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostGT View Post
Cheers,

Chris

Sorry, you can't be Chris.

That's my name.

Pick a new one.
Computear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:57 AM   #25
Fully Optimized

If he wants to try it, no one can really stop him. So he might as well go with it if he wants to drop that kind of money into hard drives. Obviously no one here has actually tried it b/c no one has that kind of money to just throw at hard drives. People here have already said it's probably not going to be that big of a difference in speed, that was their advice. So beyond that I think he's kinda on his own with this project. But if he wants to try and prove us wrong...go for it, I'd like to know if there really is that big of a difference b/w 1 SSD and 4 in RAID. Someone's gotta try it and he seems pretty set on doing it regardless what advice is given...
Jesusfrk611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:24 PM   #26
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesusfrk611 View Post
If he wants to try it, no one can really stop him. So he might as well go with it if he wants to drop that kind of money into hard drives. Obviously no one here has actually tried it b/c no one has that kind of money to just throw at hard drives. People here have already said it's probably not going to be that big of a difference in speed, that was their advice. So beyond that I think he's kinda on his own with this project. But if he wants to try and prove us wrong...go for it, I'd like to know if there really is that big of a difference b/w 1 SSD and 4 in RAID. Someone's gotta try it and he seems pretty set on doing it regardless what advice is given...

Point taken. As I said, the info has been passed on to the friend and he'll decide to do whatever he wants. I was here to collect information from those who chose to offer useful advice, and I have already done so. Whatever he decides, I'll post up results as usual.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #27
Daemon Poster

I installed a SSD in my Intel build, for the OS. When I shopped around for it I was very surprised at the difference in SSD read/write speeds. I saw a very dramatic difference installing one. You might suggest that he try one, then a raid array with two or more, to see how much difference is from the SSD and how much is from the raid array. Your friend might find the result interesting, as well as the rest of us here.
Russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #28
Fully Optimized

Half the guys in here are idiots. Who are you to tell someone how to spend their money? Stop being idiots and just answer his question. It's not difficult. Just because you puff and pout, doesn't mean his friend is going to change his mind. This is a very good reason why a lot of people don't stick around here. You guys act like you are everyone's accountant.

Tell your friend to get two of these drives. It should be more than enough. If not, he can just add as he goes.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227450

2.13Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-2GB DDR2 800 Mhz-500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue- Nvidia 9400M
rohan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:50 PM   #29
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan23 View Post
Half the guys in here are idiots. ...
[Hand raised in the air]

That's me!
Russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:22 AM   #30
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan23 View Post
Half the guys in here are idiots. Who are you to tell someone how to spend their money? Stop being idiots and just answer his question. It's not difficult. Just because you puff and pout, doesn't mean his friend is going to change his mind. This is a very good reason why a lot of people don't stick around here. You guys act like you are everyone's accountant.

Tell your friend to get two of these drives. It should be more than enough. If not, he can just add as he goes.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227450
Not to throw more oil in the fire, but as I was reading this thread I had the exact same feeling!

If someone is not asking for best bang for a dollar deal and had constantly repeated that he wants technical info why continue rubbing it in? (dont answer that)

Anyways hope you gat your info GT

- 120GB Crucial C300 SSD & 3X WD640AAKS HDD
- Dell 24" 2408WFP & 2407WFP-HC Monitor
Zer0Cool is offline   Reply With Quote