Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-19-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Arrow Solid State Drive PC

Hey all,

Back here for some more advice again. A friend's brother has seen that video where 25 SSDs were all connected together in RAID and the computer was just insanely fast. He's actually planning on either upgrading a current PC he has (or building a new one) with ~4-6 SSDs in RAID to achieve a nice, fast computer.

I don't really know what I'm asking, but I just want some info and advice from anyone who knows what they're talking about. If my friend were to take a current computer, set up four SSDs in RAID, and buy all necessary hardware/wiring he'd need (not sure what that would be), then would this be a blazing-fast computer as far as the hard drives go? I understand that all other hardware can bottleneck, but I'm trying to get more info regarding the situation.

Please chime in, thanks.

Chris

Old 09-19-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: Solid State Drive PC

Quote:
~4-6 SSDs in RAID to achieve a nice, fast computer.
i doubt putting a SSD in RAID 0 would achieve any faster speeds then it would by its self. That would be noticeable to the human brain.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to disturbed13

i believe that it might have been )
good vid
he should go all out and do 24-26 SSD HDDS
in a RAID
now what would be cool
<iframe src="http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/getDynamicImage.do?memberName=disturbed13&mnOn=tru e&stat=1&imageNum=4&rankOn=false&projectsOn=false& special=false" frameborder="0" name="di" scrolling="no" width="125px" height="176px"></iframe>
disturbed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:45 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperviper21 View Post
i doubt putting a SSD in RAID 0 would achieve any faster speeds then it would by its self. That would be noticeable to the human brain.
I agree, building a SSD RAID, is past the point of diminishing returns. It would be more economical to use one fast SSD for your OS.

Of course, we all would love to build a computer that we could throw money at without concern for cost. But, in reality, that just doesn't happen very often.
Russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:56 PM   #5
Guru

SSDs are VERY expensive. An 80GB SSD costs $300+. If your friend wants to run 4-6 in RAID0 he will be spending $1200+ in 80GB worth of fast read/write drive speeds. If he then chooses to use your regular 7200RPM HDD for storage, he will be wasting that RAID0. Like most users have said here, it would be better to just buy a single SDD with more memory space (a 256GB stands at about $600).
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:48 AM   #6
Site Team

+1 to the above reply, what sort of budget are you on? Very few people (especially these days) have unlimited funds, and SSDs might be fast but they are stupidly expensive...!

My advice would still be to wait a few years before going down the SSD route unless there's a specific application that you need that sort of speed for. Conventional hard drives are many times cheaper and for most tasks they have no problems at all.

Incidentally, be careful about RAID-ing large quantities of drives using RAID 0... I personally wouldn't push it above 2 (and even then only if they were both from reputable makes.) Lose one and you're screwed! I'd opt for RAID 5 if you're going with 4-6 drives, you lose a drive's worth of storage but you've got a much more resilient setup.
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:44 AM   #7
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostGT View Post
Hey all,

Back here for some more advice again. A friend's brother has seen that video where 25 SSDs were all connected together in RAID and the computer was just insanely fast. He's actually planning on either upgrading a current PC he has (or building a new one) with ~4-6 SSDs in RAID to achieve a nice, fast computer.

I don't really know what I'm asking, but I just want some info and advice from anyone who knows what they're talking about. If my friend were to take a current computer, set up four SSDs in RAID, and buy all necessary hardware/wiring he'd need (not sure what that would be), then would this be a blazing-fast computer as far as the hard drives go? I understand that all other hardware can bottleneck, but I'm trying to get more info regarding the situation.

Please chime in, thanks.

Chris

6 SSDs? what is he on crack? that's $1000s of dollars...
Computear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:40 AM   #8
In Runtime

Are you asking what the RAID function actually does?
Gamputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #9
Daemon Poster

He's thinking about going for 32GB SSDs. He saw the video with the 25 SSDs and basically wants that sort of speed for his business.

I don't know his budget, but he can afford 4-6 SSDs, especially if they're only 32GB. That won't be "$1000s of dollars."

He's just looking for that insane program speed the video shows. So if I understand this correctly, just one or two SSDs would be fast enough?
Old 09-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #10
In Runtime

With SSDs there are good ones and bad ones.

you really need to read this whole thing before you start messing around with them.

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3531

user12 is offline   Reply With Quote